Height of pipes for heating under floorboards

Ciaraella

Hi all,

I had an overhaul of the gas heating in my house done in November, all new pipes laid and new rads put in. One of the floorboards in the main bedroom was split while this was being done and was screwed back down (not by the fitters, by another person doing some work in the house) We lifted the board recently and the screws are actually screwed a little way into the pipe. There are no leaks or steam at all but needless to say it doesn't look good! While getting a house alarm put in a couple of weeks ago the alarm fitter hit a pipe in the other bedroom when using a circular saw. he pointed out that the pipes are very high under the floors and if new pipes were being laid they should have been set lower into the rafters, these are almost right underneath the floorboards. Should the fitters for the heating have set the pipes lower? the job is still under guarantee so just wondering if i'd have any chance of getting them to either patch up the pipes or move them. I'd be a bit worried in the future that any work on the floor could be affected,
Thanks

I assume that the Plumbers pulled out the old pipes and used all existing runs that had been notched out of the joists?. Many plumbers are wary of deepen notchs as this will result in the strenght of the joist be undermined. Ideally joists should be drilled in the centre and atleast four inchs apart to maintain strenght, however in older properties it is acceptable to use old pipe routes.
I would ask installer to tell you where the pipe runs are and you could maybe draw them on paper so at least you can prevent any damage in the future.

think the rule of thumb on notching joists is max of 1/8th the joist isnt it davy?

And on a 9 inch joist thats just over an inch. so if you screw above them you will hit them unless you know where they are.

Back