Heavy Metal Appreciation Thread #2

Betsy Og

Tried to find the last one to add to it but searches proved fruitless (bit like the music then, said the cynic!).

Anyone else headed for Twickenham tomorrow night for Iron Maiden?, on one of the searches I see YOBR looking for tickets back in February, some standing ones were released about 2 weeks ago so hopefully you got them.

Have Metallica been or is that yet to come?

Fraid I'm not getting over for the gig, it should be great though...have seen some clips on Youtube of the current tour...njoy, be safe and have a great time...

PS I expect a full review posted here on Monday!

Saw them in Belgium on Sunday. Great gig, much better form than last year.

Metallica are on 15th August. Hopefully it'll be good.

And Motorhead are back in October!

Never seen them - I'd consider it though.

Almost embarrassing to say, but mates who have seen them before have said they were simply too loud - to the point of not enjoying it.

Anyone have experience?

Saw Motorhead once before and wasn't too impressed. I thought they were a bit boring. It was an outdoor gig so maybe they'd be more suited to indoors.

Never seen them - I'd consider it though.

Almost embarrasing to say, but mates who have seen them before have said they were simply too loud - to the point of not enjoying it.

Anyone have experience?

Sorry, you'll have to speak up a bit.

Seriously, I saw them many many moons ago, and they were truly painfully loud.
Preferred Lemmy in his Hawkwind days, to be honest. The songs were fully developed, whereas Motorhead, to me, was "we've got the riff, all we need now is the volume button?"

Back from Twickers.

Great weekend, excellent set list, sound fairly poor at times (no smarta$se comments!! ).

Think I prefer indoor gigs, for sound & lights mainly, & if I go to Maiden again I think I'll have to stand (first time seated this time out & not the same).

Twickenham is a fine stadium, there was about 40,000 there I'd say, but between health & safety (limiting the crowd on the pitch to maybe 2/3rds of the area) and with the sheer size it didnt look packed (it would look better from 'floor'). So for that reason also the indoor is probably better, and a show being fully sold out is a bit of a buzz too.

Great 'vibe' at the gig, there always is, especially with the ... errr... older generations of fans. Was a bit bittersweet at the very end of the night, you know you'll never see that set list again & there was a big nostalgia feel to the gig, its more or less a celebration of Long Beach Arena 1985 - the venue for Live After Death (new DVD version out for those interested) ..... ah well, while it felt a bit like the last hurrah for my metal days I might make another burst again ......

signing off with the best ofs:

Concert - AC/DC '91 (?) The Point (closely followed by Maiden in Brixton 2003 - first time I saw them)
Album: Appetite for Destruction, Guns 'N'Roses Slane a good day out too
Song: Hallowed Be Thy Name (Iron Maiden)
Band: Iron Maiden

Up the Irons !

Betsy, thanks for that review, I was also at that ACDC gig, i think your right, it was in 91 in support of Razor's Edge album, they opened with Thunderstruck, fantastic gig! They have a new album out this year and hopefully a tour...watching some Iron Maiden stuff on Youtube yetserday and agree with comments about Twickers....

Was at Ministry on Friday in the POD - holy cow!! Rock and Roll! They played about 90mins or thereabouts but could easily have played another hour. The place was rocking!

Just back from Wacken - I think I'm getting to old for festivals!!

Carcass and At the Gates were really good but everyone else was just only ok.

How can Lemmy still hear - he's well over 60? There must be restorative qualities in Special Brew and Mandies.

Just back from Wacken - I think I'm getting to old for festivals!!

Carcass and At the Gates were really good but everyone else was just only ok.

Didnt think Maiden were good then??, it was a fairly "greatest hits" set-list complete with all the trimmings of various Eddie's, crash bang wallop pyro effects etc.