Heating water - electric or gas

newhome

Just wondering if someone could give me some advice on whether it is cheaper to heat water using an electric emmersion or using a gas boiler?

Also, as it is summer, we don't want the rads on when using the gas so would just be using the gas for the water. Is this a good option?

Thanks

I wonder about this too for the same reasons but I guess some specifics would influence this. In my case we have a boiler approx 10 years old but well maintained but we have a new immersion tank and element.

I believe that by using the immersion switch on this new tank it will be quicker and cheaper as it's < 6mts old as there is no build up of limescale on the element.

I could be talking out of my a*** but this might spark debate and get you an answer - either way by posting up the specifics of your situation people can make a more informed decision.

MAJJ

One thing to consider is that the boiler will heat the tank via the coil in the lower half of the tank, and so will heat the entire tank of water. If you only need to heat a small amount of water, it may be more efficient to use the sink circuit of the emersion.

There are a lot of factors involved in determining which is more efficient overall, so it's not an easy one to answer.
Leo

Check the SEI ( http://www.sei.ie/ ). They recommend the condensing boiler, afraid to hurt the established industry they do not even mention the combi condesing boiler. But the cheapest way to heat water for the standard household of 3 persons is - in the long run- certainly solar power.