Heating systems

jambr

We have a holiday house in the country which has very old storage heating and we want to install something up to date. We would need a heating system that is reasonable to run and would give us instant heat so when we arrive on a winters night we can heat the place up quickly. Dont really want to have gas or oil as not much room for a tank.
Any ideas please?

No wanting electric (?) storage heating, gas or oil certainly limits your options!

Anything useful on ?

No wanting electric (?) storage heating, gas or oil certainly limits your options!

Anything useful on ?
Did not say I didn't want Electric just we dont have room for tanks.... I have heard of some type of new storage heating system that allowes you more control. Cannot remember the name.....With Irish weather it could be cold one day and the next warm and then you are keeping windows open as the house is too hot.

I assumed from your original post that you wanted to get rid of electric storage heating altogether.

What do you mean by "more control" with storage heating? You can get combined storage and convection heaters if that's of any use - most of the heat is provided by the storage facility but you can boost it using the convection part if necessary. Not cheap to run the latter though.

If the house itself is also old then it might be an idea to see if it's adequately insulated while looking at replacing the heating system.

It sounds like you need a condensing combi-boiler.
[SIZE=-1]

you can read about it [broken link removed][/SIZE][SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Insulating is part of the plan, it is a very old house well a terrace cottage. No dampness or draughts but we are going to dry wall it and re insulate the attic. I wish could remember the heating system I read about last year. I was a type modern storage system..... unless it was a dream...as i cannot seem to come up with anything on the net.

was a type modern storage system
Electric presumably? While more modern units will priobably be more efficient than older ones I'm not aware of any major new leaps forward in electric storage heating technology in recent years but I could be wrong or out of touch.