Heating not working in house advice please

S

SNOWBALL

Just looking for some please, i have had problems with my heating for over a year.I have a potterton boiler house is 4 bed and around 8 years old.I have had a plumber out when the heat stops working he does his bit and it works again.it packed up last monday.he came out and said i needed a new boiler.He quoted me €2,500 to replace new boiler and flush out the system.Can anyone advise is this a reasonable price to pay?My other half is away with work and cant be contacted so need to amke a decision myself.

What's your impression of the guy - do you trust him? 8 years isn't a long time. What has your plumber said to date?

I'm no expert but it sounds unlikely to me that you would need a new boiler (e.g. ours is 25 years old, my parents 28...etc) just a thorough service maybe? or new pump?

What is/isn't happening when you have problems?

8 years is not much in the lifetime of a CH boiler. If a CH boiler is serviced
annually, it should go on for at least 20 years.

In terms of the quote of 2.5K, that is the amount that was quoted to me for a replacement gas CH boiler recently.

I would suggest you get a second opinion if possible before you commit to purchasing a new boiler.

Did the plumber give any reasons as to why the boiler has not lasted as long as it should?

I remember in the UK that a fair number of large new houses built in the nineties that friends owned had undersized boilers (for the size of the house) so the boilers wore out quickly.

hi

When it is working the radiators are never very warm, the plumber said we havd sludge and needed to get it cleaned.Regarding do i trust him well when it comes to certain jobs you can be ripped off.For instance i have a rented house in lucan got an attic with ensuite done with cert for €15,000.3 other guys quoted me €24,000 amd more so it is worth checking around.Im going to get a few quotes before i commit to anything.

hi snowball.

I had the same kind of problem not so long ago the plumbers were still on site and looked at it for us. Our radiators were not heating up either spent a good few days trying to fix it. i was really annoyed as it was new house and we were all freezing!! In the end the plumber replaced the boiler and it has been working ever since sorry I dont know if thats any help to you. Oh and he didnt say why it stopped working either was very vague about it mm...:confused:

STOP ! Don't make a rash decision. Got codded myself last year, cos I was non the wiser. I now have a Potterton boiler that still has the guarantee still in date and a plumber that doesn't want to know. Tried taking it up with Pottertons but have still gotten nowhere. BBC Watchdog did a special on Potterton boilers and all the people that are having trouble with them. The result they got was, they were promised that all people who contacted them with problems would be dealt with and they even put a letter on their webpage that you can download and send to Pottertons.

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

But since this is UK based, I don't know how I will fare in the long run. So please learn from my stupidity of not doing my homework and take a day or two to decide on you boiler. You may say that's a long time in this weather without heat, but believe me, it's better than every single morning getting up to a freezing cold house and likewise coming in in the evenings because the boiler has re-set itself yet again. And when I say, everyday, I'm not kidding. Am sick to death of it and it's only brand new :mad:

p.s. 2.5k seems to be quite excessive. Would not pay that much

Last edited:
those things are prone to circuit board failure. i had one replaced in a previous home under warranty. it took 10 mins iirc. what does a new boiler cost. <1000 ill bet and a like for like swap wouldnt take more than a couple of hours including flushing out the pipes.

Back