heathrow to gatwick airports?

ilovepink

hi all.
Im travelling to Heathrow airport next week and then travelling onwards from Gatwick airport on holidays. im wondering whats the fastest and easiest wat to get th Gatwick please. is it a bus or train or what etc..
cheers

The bus would be easier as it goes directly from one to the other.

The tube/train might get confusing if you dont know the area ( i lived there for nearly a year and got lost on a daily basis)

But if you want the challange......... from heathrow get the tube to boston manor tube station, ( about 20 mins ) when you exit the tube station turn right and walk down to the cross roads ( great west road ) cross straight over and brentford train station is on your left, about a 15 min walk, or you can get the bus ( E8 every 4-5 mins ) which will drop you just outside the train station. The get the train towards waterloo and get off at clapam junction the go to platform 13 ( unless they have changed it ) and get the train out to gatwick.

There are loads of way to get from heathrow to gatwick, thats the route i used to use. There is a website [broken link removed] but it's not really the best, you get taken all over the place and it very rarely gives you the best route. If you contact them directly they are much better.

How much time have you between the flights and what time of day are you flying in and flying out. The bus is by far the easiest (no dragging bags around London! Up and down escalators and stairs ... <shudder>). The bus should be your best option but weigh very carefully in terms of time! Personally on the train I would opt for the Heathrow Express in, tube to Victoria and Gatwick Express out - it is the most comfortable (on the train) but also the most expensive option!

BTW, I think the first website given above isn't correct, it should be www.tfl.gov.uk

Unless you're travelling during peak hours when sections of the M25 motorway are a car park (say 7-10 am and 4-7pm) then the coach is definitely the way to go - it's quite pricey but convenient door to door and they're very frequent - should be plenty details on the National Express Website.

At rush hour if you're in a hurry the best option (though very expensive) is the train as described by so-crates

Don't get a taxi whatever you do it would cost a small fortune and then some.

Samanthajane - there's an easier version of that challenge which gets you to the Waterloo trains ... Take the Tube to Hatton Cross ... hop on the bus from there to Feltham Station (very frequent, about 5 mins journey - buses also go from all the Heathrow terminals but it's faster usually to tube it to Hatton X and catch the buses there ) ... Feltham has 6 trains an hour (2 fast, 2 semi fast and 2 slow) to Clapham Junction and Waterloo ... in theory you could do Clapham to/from Heathrow in about 30 mins this way .. in practice it tends to be more like 45mins-1hr ... I think it would be faster than your Boston Manor route

I wouldn't bother with the Gatwick Express (if you choose that option) Just get any train to Brighton, they all stop at Gatwick.
Should be a good bit cheaper.

Haha, no i'd still get lost.

To be honest when reading his directions i was confused, ( as he probablt was to mine ) you just get used to going a certain way. I think he may have his own set of wings to do it in that time. 45-60 min yeah but i highly doubt 30 mins. If so then well peeved i didn't discover it myself.

I wouldn't bother with the Gatwick Express (if you choose that option) Just get any train to Brighton, they all stop at Gatwick.
Should be a good bit cheaper.

eh......from heathrow a train to brighton? totally different routes. It would still need a bus, train, walk and probably piggy back ride to get to where you'd need to be to get on a train heading to brighton!

ilovepink.......i'd get the bus lol

I think umop3p!sdn (your friends must have had much fun writing you christmas cards!) meant that once you get to Victoria, while the Gatwick Express is technically the fastest, regular trains to Brighton are only about ten minutes slower - he is still assuming you arrive via Paddington and the Underground. I'd probably take the Heathrow Connect instead as the price difference is much greater and the time difference between that and not taking the Gatwick Express is fairly small. I'd still probably opt for the bus ... as long as it wasn't rush hour!

eh......from heathrow a train to brighton? totally different routes. It would still need a bus, train, walk and probably piggy back ride to get to where you'd need to be to get on a train heading to brighton!
Piccadilly line to Earls court. Change to district line for Victoria. Overground to Brighton, getting off at Gatwick.

(In response to so-crates first post, note the 'If you choose that option')

There's not really a way of making it cheaper.

Technically gatwick is out of the boundaries so it shouldn't cost 10 times as much to get there than to somewhere else of the same difference. But this is london and the money they make from it is huge.

For me to get from brentford to gatwick was around 16 pound, but a return to ( cant remember the name of the place now but it was longer to get to than gatwick ) it was 5.50 return.

It was probalby Three Bridges - the next stop after Gatwick .. but I think they've closed that loophole now

It is possible .. but only if you really play your cards very right ... From my office in Putney I've made it to Terminal one in just over 30 mins

Here's how you'd do it:

Fast Train Clapham Junction - Feltham (only stops Richmond & Twickenham) - 18 mins
Bus from Feltham Station to Hatton Cross - 5mins
Tube from Hatton Cross - Heathrow Central - 3 mins

Add in a few mins for walking (running!) from train to bus to tube and in theory you could do it in 30 mins

45ish + is more likely of course

And bear in mind there are no upgrades going on... or lines closed due to people jumping infront of the trains. I was very surprised by how often this happens!

You could do what you said above in 30 mins but you haven't factored in getting from gatwick to clapham junction?? ( we seem to be going the other way now----gatwick to heathrow) That could very well add 30-40 extra mins, or if your an idiot like me it would add an extra 2 hours, since i got the express and that didn't stop at clapham junction ( i was only going to brentford then not on to heathrow )

For sure ... 30 mins was Clapham Junction - Heathrow or vice versa minimum theoretical time ... you'd need to add on 25 minutes minimum for Gatwick - Clapham junction plus connection time .. So the minimum possible time via this route would be 1hr ... and I'd say closer to 90mins would be much more likely

Anyway I think we're drifting a bit off topic here ... I wouldn't recommend the OP to try this .. stick with the National Express coach from Heathrow Bus Station to Gatwick

I'll second that as well. Much safer to get the coach.

The Transport system in London is great, just very confusing ( even when you have lived there )