Heathrow Connection

B

bredaw

Hi,
I am connecting from an Aer Lingus flight arriving in terminal 1 Heathrow to a Qantas flight out of terminal 4. I have three hours and am wondering if we should book our bags through in Cork or collect them in Heathrow and re check.
Can any one offer any advice? Will Aer Lingus even bother to forward bags to Qantas?
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

B

they wont change your bags, why would they? they will only change them for you if you are using the same airline all the way through

Even though Aer Lingus are not in One World any more they are airline partners of Quantas so contrary to what mickman just said, they should be able to check your bags all the way through.

Not sure if they'll even give you a choice but why on earth would you want to lug bags around Heathrow? Madness! I know people panic about Heathrow and the T5 thing won't have calmed many people but chances are your bags will make it through fine.

If you are ticketed on the one ticket then your bags will be checked through to Sydney , just hop on the Terminal 4 transfer coach , follow signage for connecting flights.

i checked my bags straight through to australia which involved two changes, first flight was with aer lingus, no problems at all. only thing is it's difficult to specify a seat when you check in in dublin, ie i was looking for an aisle seat on the other 2 flights and the aer lingus check-in person couldn't help, not sure if it was because he couldn't or wasn't bothered.

they wont change your bags, why would they? they will only change them for you if you are using the same airline all the way through

This is absolutely incorrect.

If you booked your flights at the same time, Aer Lingus have an agreement with BA/Qantas and you won't need to see your bags in LHR. You have plenty of time to get from one terminal to the other.....

3 hours is enough but not a massive amount of time in Heathrow (so don't dawdle in T1!), your bags will usually make it - like other posters have said, they will be checked through. What I usually do is make sure I have packed a change of clothes in my carry-on, can be difficult to manage but I usually succeed. Oh and remember to check the weather at your destination before packing. It is getting into winter there and while it might be warmer than our winter it is probably best not to pack sunnies, tee and short shorts for your emergency wear if you are landing in Sydney...

BTW if you are flying via Singapore I can recommend the Rainforest Lounge for a very welcome kip between flights! You can also get showers, massages etc, well worth paying for and very reasonable (about €6 an hour for somewhere to sleep if memory serves, bit less for a shower).

Oh and a particular pleasure with Heathrow is the security, they are really very strict on the one bag policy there I have found (though I haven't been through there for a good few months now so that may have changed) so if you buy it in Dublin and can't get it into your bag... I think you can get it in a sealed bag with receipt attached to take through Heathrow, but if you can survive without it, do.

Last edited:
Oh and a particular pleasure with Heathrow is the security, they are really very strict on the one bag policy there I have found (though I haven't been through there for a good few months now so that may have changed)

The one bag rule at Heathrow (and pretty much all UK Airports) is thankfully gone - [broken link removed] - that said security at Heathrow may be a lot better than it used to be but it's certainly still not a pleasure

So no problems on that score ... If you want to buy Duty Free though it's probably best to wait until Heathrow .. I'm not sure what the rules on Duty Free liquids are (as I never bother with it) and anyway pretty much anything you could buy in Cork you'd be able to get in Heathrow and probably at a cheaper price given the relative weakness of £stg at the minute.

I Have had so many problems in the past when trying to get Aer Lingus to pass my bags onto British Airway flights, I wouldn't be so certain that you will get you bags passed through as they can't seem to get it right in the past, see this thread.

I think the best advice is bring a chage of clothes and anything of value in your carry on baggage.

Your bags will be checked through but I don't know if they will be there when you arrive.

Good luck,
ad

Provided you are on a through ticket connecting on to BA/Qantas Aer Lingus will check your bags through so you will not have to pick the up at Heathrow if you don't want to (As adbob observes of course this is no guarantee that bags will not be delayed/lost -there's always a (small) chance of that)

If you are on separate ticket (e.g. you bought a London - Oz ticket and then purchased a separate Cork-London ticket on Aer Lingus) the Aer Lingus will likely not check your baggage all the way through and you'd have to collect it in London and re check it for your next flight.

what evilsoctork says is correct. it depends on how you bought ur flight

This is the definitive answer to your question.