Heated Towel Rails

carraig king

I am looking at getting a heated towel rail installed in my bathroom. Has anybody installed one and what is the heat off them like? Is it as good as a normal radiator?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sorry I can't offer any advice but I only said to him indoors recently that I think these are a great idea. Recently used a towel straight out of the tumble dryer and it was so warm. Definitely worth investigating. Anyone have any advice? See Argos have

We've got them in both our ensuite and bathroom and find them great. Make sure you get one thats capable of heating your room (and holding 2 towels), I'm pretty sure there is a formula based on the size of the room (BTUs I think) for this.

BTW you'll find a big variation in the price of towel rails, we got ours in Bohills in Drogheda and I thought they were good value - its not worth spending big money on.

M

We've got a gas one and find it great, no problem heating the bathroom.

I bought one from B & Q just before Xmas. It was one of the long (5 ') ladder types. It cost me € 135 as there was a sale on towel rails, 1/3 off.

They are easy to install. Just treat them like a replacement radiator. Bear in mind that they need to be balanced like a normal radiator, therefore record the number of turns you made on the original radiator, and adjust the new towel rail lock shield valve accordingly.

Also, towel rails are normally narrower than radiators, and there will be a gap between the original valves and the new valves. You have a choice of either 1) taking up the floorboards and rerunning the original pipe to new location (iggish job); or 2) extend the pipework above the floorboards (easy job but does not look very well - appearance is greatly improved by using chrome/steel pipes and fittings, rather than the usual copper pipes)

Just one more little point. We found that the chrome towel rads are hideously expensive compared to white ones. Almost 3 times the price for the same rad in a different finish!

Berlin said:
Just one more little point. We found that the chrome towel rads are hideously expensive compared to white ones. Almost 3 times the price for the same rad in a different finish!

Also most heated towel rails are only designed to heat a towel and not a room if you require a model that heats a room this can get quite expensive

Good Luck