Heat recovery ventilation systems

ninsaga

Checked out a number of these at the Selfbuild expo at Punchestown this weekend. Took time to talk to a number of providers there. At the end of it I can safely say that I am none the wiser as to which one is better than the other. The costs varied even in the €5k to €10k (supply & install). All systems basically operate on the same principle ie. extracting from the 'wet' areas (kitchen, bathrooms, utility) & distribute to other living spaces.

The main exception to all of the above as far as I can see is that Nuaire offer a combination system which integrates a supply from solar panels (neither the flat bed or vacuum tube variety), but from a think called a solar air collector (first time I've come across this).

I've provided some details of each of the suppliers below.

Nuaire- full kit to include the solar air collector approx €10k www.sunwarm.com
www.homevent.co.uk www.nuaireforhomes.co.uk

Enervent apprx €6k supply & install www.enervent.ie

Allvent about €5k www.allvent.com

MTD Solutions provide the ORCON product - €5.2k-€5.5k supply & install www.mtd-solutions.com (note website under construction but contact details are there)

Homecare Systems provide the Villavent product (cannot find where I wrote down their costs) www.homecaresystems.biz

Energy Depot design & produce their own cannot find where I wrote down their costs) www.energydepot.ie

If anyone can add commentry here on their knowledge & experiences of these & others then please provide. In your experience, what puts one above the other?

Last edited:
Is there money to be saved by going this route...Can they tell you how much you will save?Had a look at 2 of the sites but this number wasn't apparent...

Hi Ninsaga

Spoke to a Company that supplies ventialtion systems. I am buying a ventilation system as i have to. Kingspan TEK house so air tight. Asked about HRV. They said they could sell me a HRV module for the system. However the savings are not significant. In countires where the outside air is significantly colder than Ireland it makes sense. But because we dont suffer harsh winters it may not make econonmical sense. Decided not to go with it.

Hi AJL.... thanks for that... which systems did you evaluate (any of the ones posted above?)

How's your SIP's build coming along by the way?

ninsaga

Ninsaga,

I myself hope to going down the ventilation recovery route even though I havent come to a final design on the house ( But probe will be airtight + passive ).

The best ventilation recovery system I cam accross there were the nibe exhaust air heat pumps ( never asked price as im early on) which can be docked into a solar system (both of which are grant eligible) to reduce any elec needs on heating water when the heat pump can supply your rads/ underfloor with enough heat.

Unipipe were the distrubutors at the show and I dont have the brochure now but think the model was the Fighter 410p.

Unipipe were the distrubutors at the show and I dont have the brochure now but think the model was the Fighter 410p.

Thanks..... never got to talk to them... will try & get to them at the Millstreet show.

try www.unipipe.ie or www.nibe.se to me this system has a lot more boxes ticked than just the standard HVR system , plus grant allowed !! , i'll keep looking fo more systems like this in mean time and i'll post any findings that i'll have

Thanks jambo - were there any particular issues that you know of with the systems that I've listed above which basically directed you away from them?

I've done some checking on the solar air panels (from nuaire), it appears that these are suited ok for ventilation requirements but not as suited for water heating. That's all I've found so far
ninsaga

Hi Ninsaga,

TEk house is up and now slating and first fixing inside. Delighted with the product top class and quick.
Evaluated Nuaire. Seems like an ok system. The reason I did not go with them is that they did not have a primary heat source with the system .Don't think you can rely on solar air heat alone. Would be looking at attaching a heating coil along with their system but I'm not a plumber and I wanted one system that venitlated/heated/ cooled so if something goes wrong you can blame the one company!!

Thanks AJL.... the more I check into it, the more puzzled I'm becomming....more questions than answers. I think I could with a 'Which' magazine version of HRV systems which lines them all up & gives the pro's & cons. Installing one of these only to discover that its not all that its cut out to be would be a costly mistake.

ninsaga

Glad to hear the build is going well by the way

Ninsaga,

Nothing directed me away from the systems that you mentiond yet .. as im planning to hopefully have a passive / airtight house and the fact that most HRV are only ust heat exchangers that can be docked with electrial elements for supplementary heating got me thinking can this exhaust air be used with another system ie solar / wood chip etc Is what brought me accross the nibe system ( I hope to have a max comfort for DHW nad Heating installed with mininmum running cost to the pocket - pay back time im slightly thinking of later ) plus I am thinking a good while along the line that maybe I could use wind / solar to eventually power the elements in the heat pump should there be any short comings in heat / DHW requirements .

ninsaga,

Sorry for taking so long to replay to your answer ?

Re : What construction method are you planning to use?

To be honest im not too sure yet I have looked at timber frame + sips insulated to passive levels and airtight but have decided against it for the moment but I am now after a bit of research leaning more towards the idea a poroton inner lear with an outer insulation leaf with render.

I suppose the main challenge will be to find a builder who can work with these new products and achieve an airtight build for me.

I hope to have my facts / decisions decided soon so at least once I find an architect I'll be able to let them know exacly what I want/prefer in my brief to them ..