Health Insurance-VHI

N

newgirl

Hi,

Does anyone know anything about the different VHI plans? Was thinking of Plan B with healthsteps but it seems to me that First Plan Plus is a similar plan but cheaper?

Can anyone please help?

Hi Newgirl,

Welcome to AAM.

Most people with VHI seem to be switching to these new plans because they include contributions towards costs which were not covered in the past without heavy excesses. VHI are at pains to emphasise tho that in switching you will not be covered for Blackrock Clinic and Mater Private.

Perhaps these might be of interest best buys list and the [broken link removed]?

If you're not old or in poor health, then any form of health insurance just isn't worth it.

If you're not old or in poor health, then any form of health insurance just isn't worth it.

Hmmm...that sounds like it should be a separate thread in the "Great Financial Debates" section.

It all depends on the level of risk you're comfortable with. Anyone can fall into poor health at any age, but obviously the risk is greater the older you are and if you already have a past history of poor health. Given the cost of private medical care and the shoddy state of public medical care in this country, I'd be very wary of proclaiming that people should forego medical insurance. I'm 35 and have benefitted from my medical insurance. (There again maybe you regard 35 as old!)

Hmmm...that sounds like it should be a separate thread in the "Great Financial Debates" section.

Actually there have been a few such debates in the past which may still be present in the Great Financial Debates forum in case anybody is interested and wants to read and/or resurrect them.

Re: Maternity cover.

"If you're not old or in poor health"

Notice women who may at some stage need to avail of maternity cover are not mentioned in your list. I for one was glad/happy to be able to avail of private cover for room/consultant. With the overcrowding in maternity hospitals these days its definitely a bonus.

Re: Maternity cover.

NoelC; I am in plan B options with vhi and have been for a number of years. Two years ago when my eldest daughter turned 21 I made enquiries about moving her to basic plan A in VHI. Unfortunately VHI had a very strict policy (then anyway) that two people in the same family could not be on different plans so I switched her to basic plan with Bupa. At the time I debated whether or not it was worth covering a 21 year old (healthy) student but for peace of mind did that. In december last she was having serious problems with her jaw and suffice to say that the end result was the removal of 4 wisdom teeth with an overnight hospital stay. Because the consultant hadn't 'signed' up to Bupa I have to pay the diffence between his fee and what Bupa will pay, BUT the part of his fee they are covering and the hospital cover they paid for this one procedure and this one overnight stay are greater than her combined insurance costs for last year, this year, next year and possibly even the following year. And this was a 'relatively simple' procedure in a healthy 22 year old. Personally I don't think it worth the risk not to have cover, if you can afford even the most basic plan.

VHI link

Here's a to a previous debate on AAM on the value (or lack of) of health insurance.

Back