VHI Health Insurance Renewal - Family of 4

Germaine

Hello.

That time of year again and baffled...

Can anyone advise best policy please?

We are a family of 4 - both in early 40's and 2 small kids aged 6 & 10.

Have been with VHI a couple of years.
2 x adults on the PMI 40 15 plan
2 x kids on the One plan family
Annual cost was €2,616

Renewal has just come in at slightly more...€2,784

I rang and asked could they bring it down a bit...baffled. High tech cardio care a good thing to have on policy according to customer advisor...We have no cardio issues.
Would like to stay with VHI, but is this really our best option price?
We have no health issues. One child may need corrective surgery on her ears in coming few years and would prefer to have choice of private here.

Would appreciate if anyone could advise - renewal date Nov 27th.

Thanks.

Hi Germaine,

Adult Options
The 2 alternative options with VHI have a higher inpatient excess amount, if you are admitted to a private hospital for a stay.
Your current plan PMI 40 15 has a 75 euro excess for private hospitals.
Details as follows;
1. VHI One Plan 250; price 896pa; all public + private hospitals covered and Beacon hospital (hi-tech cardiac + other procedures), private hospital
inpatient excess 250 x 2 max per year for all admissions. Day case excess 150 per procedure in private hospitals. Note; there is only 60% cover
for hip and knee replacement surgery in private hospitals on this plan which is not good. I wouldn't recommend this for someone aged 60+ or for
someone with health issues like this. It would be less of a risk for a younger age group, so otherwise its a good option to consider.

2. VHI One Plan 150; price 996pa; same hospital cover as VHI One Plan 250 with a lower excess of 150 x 2 max for all admissions to a private hospital.
Day case excess 150 per procedure. Again 60% cover for orthopaedic surgery as above.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...vY2siOmZhbHNlLCJwbGFuX2RldGFpbF9pZCI6LTF9fV0=

Child Option
A slightly cheaper option, equivalent to One Plan Family with VHI is One + Plan @ 225 per child.
All public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess 125 per admission or 125 per day case procedure.
The 3 hi-tech hospitals offer a range of childrens surgery and procedures, ( Blackrock Clinic, Mater Private and Beacon) if waiting lists are long
in the public hospitals.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...jayI6ZmFsc2UsInBsYW5fZGV0YWlsX2lkIjotMX19XQ==

There are savings of 300+ to be achieved, if you don't mind an excess of 250 on One Plan 250. There is also the option for just one adult to switch plan
if it suits.

Regards, Snowyb

Thanks Snowyb.

Thats good advice re: one adult switching. Never thought of that.

I spoke to another person in VHI who was more open to helping me lower the policy and they recommended:

VHI Smart Plan 500 (2 adults and 2 kids)

It offers a high excess, (€150 on a day case, €500 in patient admission)
Semi private cover in private hospital
Cardiac cover in Beacon
60% cover for orthopaedic surgery
Upgrade rule had a two year wait...as we are healthy and young (ish) this doesn't worry me. Should it?

Got it down to €1,922 per annum as opposed to where it was at €2,784...saving of €862 per annum....
Am I missing something very obvious?

Germaine

Germaine,

Just one thing, I would NOT put the children on Smart Plan 500, as its more expensive than One + Plan which has much better cover and cheaper.
One + Plan is 225 per child, Smart Plan 500 is 239 per child with less cover.
Especially when one child will probably have surgery in the coming years. One + Plan covers all public, private + 3 Hi-tech hospitals with a 125 excess
for a stay or day case procedure. Why pay 500 excess when you can just pay 125 excess.
https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...jayI6ZmFsc2UsInBsYW5fZGV0YWlsX2lkIjotMX19XQ==

Its fine for the adults, once your ok with a 500 payment if you need surgery in a private hospital.
The private hospitals covered in Dublin include The Hermitage, Santry Sports Clinic, St Vincents Private Hospital D4.

An alternative plan, VHI One Plan 500, fully covers all public and all private hospitals and cardiac in Beacon.
The excess is capped at 500 x 2 max per year for all admissions in private hospitals, regardless of how many.
Its just 38 euro extra per adult, price 759, compared to Smart Plan 500 price 722.

I didn't show these plans in original post, as I didn't think 500 excess would suit as your current excess is 75.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...Mb2NrIjpmYWxzZSwicGxhbl9kZXRhaWxfaWQiOi0xfX1d

Regards, Snowyb

Apologies for delay in responding. Thank you so much Snowyb. . Can I send you something for saving us money?

Germaine,

No thanks, but a small donation to a charity of your own choice will do the trick.
I appreciate the kind thought. Happy Christmas.

Snowyb

Back