Health Insurance Refunds. How are they calculated.

Odea

I got an email from Laya to say that they are refunding me €198 in respect of my health Insurance policy. My policy cost about €1000 and started last November.

Does anyone know how they have arrived at this figure of €198 as there is no explanation (that I can see) anywhere in their email to me.

My understanding from reading the email is that Laya are refunding all policies the same amount, regardless of what policy you're on.

My understanding from reading the email is that Laya are refunding all policies the same amount, regardless of what policy you're on.
This doesn't seem right.

If you are paying €1000 or €2000 or €3000 premium, you get €198? How is this amount calculated?

If private hospitals are closed, then you should get a full refund of that portion of your outstanding policy. I don't see why Laya should profit from this?

Is VHI paying the same sum?

Is VHI paying the same sum?
No, vhi are refunding based on 50% of the monthly premium. So higher cost gets higher refund.

If private hospitals are closed, then you should get a full refund of that portion of your outstanding policy.
Private hospitals aren't the only thing covered by your policy. I've no idea how to calculate it, but personally I don't expect a 100% refund. There'll be a backlog of cases to work through when restrictions are lifted - say for example (and this is randomly picked) you wanted a hip replacement. It'll cost the insurance company the same whether you had it last year, or later this year. The fact private hospitals are closed for 3 months doesn't reduce the cost to them, just delays it.
Just my thoughts.

I recently got an email from Vhi stating "Vhi will waive a percentage of your premium for a three month period, effective from the 15th of May onwards. This will range from 45% to 60% depending on your plan(s). Your direct debit will automatically reflect this change and we’ll send you a new interim payment schedule, so you don’t need to do anything.!

Back