Health Insurance Query

Cahir

I currently have vhi plan a with healthsteps gold - I know I probably should have had a higher level of cover but at the time I couldn't see much of a difference between the plans and I've only ever used healthsteps to claim back doctor and physiotherapist fees.

Anyway, my issue at the moment is that my doctor informed me yesterday that a routine test I had a couple of months ago came back saying I needed to go for treatment. So I dropped into the doctor today to get the referral letter and brought it to the hospital. I was told there was a 5 month waiting list so I asked about going private and was given the phone number. I called the private clinic and they asked about insurance, told them I had plan a but they said I'd need at least plan b.

So, I applied to upgrade my policy today (side note - do vhi deliberately hire braindead call centre staff?) but there's a 6 month waiting period and 5 years for a pre-existing condition (I assume that's what my procedure will be considered). The cost of the treatment without insurance is €430 to begin with plus extra for the additional follow up treatment I'll most likely need and once I start off private I won't be allowed to go back public.

So, I suppose I'm wondering if there's any insurance company I can join that has a shorter waiting period or that won't consider my treatment a pre-existing condition.

I know'll I'll probably have no choice but to wait but I'm really worried and I know I'm going to spend the next 5 months worried sick. Well, it'll probably be more than 5 months because otherwise that'll be christmas! And then it'll be another 5 or 6 months for further treatment so I have to let my condition get worse for the next year!!! Now I'm really starting to panic!!

Would it be practical to put the private costs on my credit card (could end up being a couple of thousand) and then get a small personal loan to pay it off in addition to paying extra off my credit card it month? Surely my health is worth it??

Sorry for the long post, I'm just really upset and worried at the moment :(

Hi Cahir

I am sorry to hear about your health problems. But it seems that you are trying to take out insurance after the claim? I would doubt if Vivas or Bupa would be any better value.

Your health is important. Go get the operation done and borrow the money for it.

brendan

HI Cahir - Sorry to hear your bad news. However, I'm sure you're once the fog has cleared and you have a chance to think about this, you won't be really surprised about the pre-existing conditions rule. Without this 5 year delay in cover, everyone would simply wait until a condition was diagnosed before taking out health insurance, which would kind-of defeat the purpose.

However, I'd disagree with Brendan's advise to automatically proceed with the operation. Have a discussion with your GP first about the impacts of the 5-month delay - would this have a significant impact on your health and/or quality of life? What are the risks that when they open you up, they may find something that invalidates the 'price quote' that has been given to you? I'd be concerned about the possibility that (for example) you stretch to borrow €5k, but wake up after the operation to face a €15k bill. How reliable is the 5-month waiting period on the public list?

Recently both Vivas & Bupa ran promotional days in my workplace. Both firms were prepared to waive the waiting periods for people who signed up on the day - this includes the 6 months & 5 years.

Perhaps you might keep an eye out for other deals and offers like this. My parents in law managed to negotiate a similar deal when Bupa first came to Ireland. If I were you, I'd ring Bupa and see what they offer you!

(not affiliated to either in any way - VHI subscriber as a matter of fact)

Yeah but waiving the waiting period only applies if you move from Vhi, if you move they can't give you a waiting period.

Have a discussion with your GP first about the impacts of the 5-month delay - would this have a significant impact on your health and/or quality of life?
Rainyday is spot on here - it depends on what the problem is. My father had an illness and had to wait for 3 months for treatment to start. The Consultant advised him that as it was progressing so slowly, it would be of no benefit to him to opt for immediate private treatment.

Hope everything works out for you.

Actually Badgambler my parents in law had no health insurance whatsoever in place!

Back