Health Insurance Health insurance for siblings

music

Thank you for any advice. I help out with health plan search for my siblings. It wasn't a fun exercise to begin with and has turned into a complete headwrecker due to the level of increases and plethora of new plans - In fact the price increases are really tending to make a private healthcare plan unaffordable.

I have a sibling who is on Laya Simply Connect with a renewal due in mid October. She does not live in Dublin.
She is in her early 50s and hasn't had need to use it much, not even for for a GP visit. There is a large price increase due on 1st October. She has to carry a 24% loading due to not having had private health cover before the age of 34. Her new plan is proposed at €2,515 including the 24% loading.
She has had no health issues at all but would be keen on having good cardiac care. A private ward is not considered important. Money is tight so a good value plan would be very welcome.

I have another who has returned over a year ago from living abroad for years, and who didnt know about the 9 months allowed after your return (as I understand it) where you can join up without having the extra loading imposed if you join after having livied outside the country.
He had been paying into a private plan for several years before he left for abroad. He has been abroad for about 20 years. He is in his mid-50s too and has had no medical issues but would like to have good orthopaedic and cardiac cover. Good allround care, no huge excess, good day to day expenses returned, the holy grail in effect... This person lives in Dublin. Thank you for any advice.

What a shame.he missed joining before the 9 months was up. He's going to face a loading of 2% for every year since aged 35 for the next ten years. .......very painful. He will probably get some concession for the years he did pay in previously but it's still going to be very expensive.

Laya simple connect has risen significantly due to it having full cover for specific Orthopaedic and Ophthalmic procedures. Plans like Aspire, Connect Simplicity and Prime are examples of very good policies but don't have the full cover for ortho. or opht procedures. It depends how important this cover is to you. I would be inclined to save the excess needed in case I would ever need a hip replacment or perhaps look to get it done abroad if I can hobble on a plane

Last edited:
Back