Health insurance for family - Quinn Direct?

dubinamerica

Want to set up health insurance for my family 2 adults & 2 kids.. Any recommendations regarding good coverage? Got quote from Quinn Direct for Family Care at 1673.. Checked on line for VHI and range from around 1816 to nearly 2K, and for Vivas over 2K.. Had heard VIVAS was good but seems pretty steep !
Don't just want to make a decision on cost .. has anyone had waiting periods reduced ? 5 yrs with Q.D. seems really long. Ease of use.. Don't want to be stressing out too much about making claims etc.

If you're looking at FamilyCare with Quinn, then you should also look at CompanyCare from Quinn or Company Plan Plus (Levels 1 or 2) from VHI or biz plan plus from VIVAS/Hibernian.

These plans are primarily sold to the corporate markets, but under open enrolment legislation, none of the insurers can refuse to let you join, nor can they charge you any more than any other member of the scheme (aside from group discounts).

Unfortunately, the HIA comparison document doesn't list these plans, which is a shame because they are very similar to the main plans (but not identical so make sure to check) and they are cheaper.

Regarding the reduction of the 5 year pre-existing (I'm presuming it's the pre-existing), it's very unlikely that you will get this reduced unless you have previous insurance that the Irish insurers recognise. If it's any consolation, 5 years is the market norm, VHI & Hibernian have the same.

As for ease of use, I've had no personal experience using health insurance (and long may that continue!), but I've heard that Quinn are asking alot more questions of doctors and hospitals before paying claims. This may not necessarily be a bad thing though, as it might mean that errors don't slip through the cracks. Haven't heard anything about VHI or Hibernian. Perhaps you could give the patient accounts dept of your local hospital a call to see what they say (but factor in that what's negative for them may not be a negative for you).

ok great thanks for the info on that. I'd looked at the HIA site alright and had excluded certain plans based on the coverage (I think semi-private in a private hospital, appears to provide a good level of coverage). I was just speaking to a rep in VHI and she mentioned that Plan B has more hospital coverage than the Family Plan but the difference is really in relation to Blackrock clinic, deacon medical centre, and that Family Plan has better "outpatient" coverage so as to be able to claim back on GP visits.

Has anyone availed of any medical screening with Quinn Direct ? health check I think it's called..