Health Insurance health insurance for elderly with medical card

Richard o

Hi Im 82 with laya essential . I have a medical card but wanted some basic cover so i dont have to wait for a hospital appointment if i needed tests or treatment i dont need gp or dentist cover beasause of the card can you help me as even the comparison site bamboozeled me.
Kind regards Richard

Similar Question,

85 year old in nursing home with medical care. Do I need to keep my VHI cover?

Thanks in advance.

Good question and my thinking on it is that at 85 you are unlikely (I could be wrong though) to be going looking for elective sort of stuff that would put you on a waiting list. Any hospital admission is more likely to be something sudden and in that case if an ambulance is called you will end up in a public hospital anyway. My father in his 80s always had private health insurance but in reality hardly used it as anytime he ended up in hospital iafter that it was by ambulance so was directly to a public hospital.

Whilst you may not be looking for big ticket surgery (Heaven forbid) there are any number of smaller treatments older people need e.g. toenail avulsion, cathethers, stoma, physio etc., and its just quicker and easier to get it done without waiting on the public system.

Provided of course that you are not cutting back on the basics just to pay it, my recommendation is to keep up the health insurance.

There's no pockets in a shroud.

Back