Health food shop selling "un-healthy" food?

RonanC

I bought a packet of cashew nuts & Raisin mix yesterday in a well known health food shop and while munching away on the delish cashew nuts was reading the Ingredients.. Raisins topped the ingredients with 60% followed by HYDROGENATED Vegtable Oil. Surely a Health food shop should lead the way and not sell anything containing the above oil...

I noticed that Marks & Spencers are banning all Trans Fats from their own brand ready meals and other food products.. So why does a Health Shop not do the same??

"Healthy" means nothing when it comes to advertising food. Ditto for other vague terms (e.g. "natural"). In fact it's arguable that the terms "healthy" or "unhealthy" can be attributed to (m)any foodstuffs without more qualification.

Just wondering why you didn't check the ingredients before purchasing if this sort of thing is of interest to you?

I had bought the cashew nuts before and knew that there wasnt any "trans fats" in them..... I know I should have read the ingredients before hand.... Will mention it to them the next time i'm in there!!!

I had bought the cashew nuts before and knew that there wasnt any "trans fats" in them..... I know I should have read the ingredients before hand.... Will mention it to them the next time i'm in there!!!

There may have always been trans fats in them. I think recently suppliers have been asked to state this on packaging. Up to this, they didn't have to mention it.

I think they have to be 'cooked' before they are edible, maybe that's why they have trans-fatty acids?

Back