Headless Photos

Cuppa

I have a new Fuji Digital camera, after spending hours on the computer editing and taking out red eyes I took the memory stick along to the developers to have pictures developed. Couldn't believe the results everyone had their heads shaved off. I mentioned it to the assistant who just said this happens when it goes throught the machine. I am wodering is this something to do with software in different systems should I just stick with Fuji developers. Any ides?

Thanks

did you tell them to redo the photos?

surely if you can actually see the full head on your computer, they can develop them that way?

i hope you didn't pay for them.

I only had 12 pictures developed the ones I liked. They gave me 20% reduction I said about right as 20% of the picture was gone. The assistant looked fairly blank so I couldnt be bothered asking her to do it again.

i would not have paid for any, blank assistant or not....20% of the picture was gone but ehhhh a fundamental part of the picture!

They gave me 20% reduction I said about right as 20% of the picture was gone. The assistant looked fairly blank so I couldnt be bothered asking her to do it again.

Pure class.....:D

If the machine was chopping off 20%, I suspect that it was happening on all photos, and the blank stare was the assistant's defence against the punters annoyance. I have always found it difficult to win an argument with a really stupid person (or someone feighning stupidity) cos you cant use reasoning.

Were they 6"x4" prints? Most digital photos have a ratio closer to 6"x4.5", which would mean the machine would have cropped about 1/4" from top and bottom of a landscape-oriented image. But that's a lot less than 20%.

I agree with Lauren, I wouldn't have paid anything for them if I felt there was a machine fault...

Yes the pictures without heads are 6" 4" maybe I shoud have been asking for 6" * 4.5" so I have lost a half inch on each picture. Is it that simple

The same thing happened to me. I used one of those machine where you put your card in and pick the pics you want printed. When I collected my photos I was told by the manager that I should have centred them on the machine. I told him that I made it clear to the assistant that I wasnt familar with the use of the machine. He was very rude and just didnt want to know. I just took my custom elsewhere.

Yes the pictures without heads are 6" 4" maybe

Seem a bit short. Are you photographing garden gnomes?

I shoud have been asking for 6" * 4.5" so I have lost a half inch on each picture.

When the photo dimensions doesn't match the paper, there are three options:
- stretch the picture along the dimension that's too short. But that distorts the photos (wrong aspect ratio).
- blow the picture up until the short dimension is big enough. But that cuts off part of the long dimension, as you've discovered.
- print the whole picture, but add a white border on the dimension that's too short. That's probably the option you wanted. I'm surprised this isn't available / the default setting. Photo shops must run into this all the time.

Back