Heading for the snow - 2/3 nights, over Xmas?

Plek Trum

Hi all,
following a chat last night, I am thinking of bringing my partner away for a suprise 2 or 3 night break to a country where you are guaranteed DEEP proper snow. This will be over the Xmas period.

Can anyone recommend somewhere that we could travel to direct from Shannon or Cork, good scenery, reasonably priced and memorable?
Any links to review and or websites would be great and of course personal recommendations.

Please note - we will NOT be going skiing or snowbaording ! Looking for a relaxing break.. thanks :)

We were in France on a glacier for Christmas last year. The snow was nowhere near deep, and in the afternoon sun it got quite icy. Last year was a particularly bad year for snow Europe-wide, but even still, Christmas is a bit early to expect heavy snow. I heard of people who went on skiing holidays around that time and not only was there not enough snow to ski on, there was no snow to look at! If you want any snow at all you need to go high.

I know you're not skiing or snowboarding, but if you look at www.wtss.co.uk there is great information on all the resorts, including where is more snow-sure.

Looks like Aer Lingus could take you to Munich or Barcelona (from Cork) during this period.

From there you could head south for the German Alps or North for the Spanish/ Andorran Pyrennes respectively.

German alps have lots of pretty areas such as Garmish that should have snow, similarly, Spain resorts like La Molina would be about 2.5 hrs drive away.

This site might help, it list ski resorts within striking distance of european airports.

http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/index.html

As mentioned in other posts, it is early in the season and you probably need to get to high altitudes to be guaranteed any snow.

Thanks for all the advice folks, much appreciated. May postpone plans till nearer end of Jan to be somewhat assured of decent snow. Thanks!

Back