Headboard supplied is different colour to one ordered in shop

Bob the slob

Bought a bed in a well known retail shop and it wasnt cheap. It was €1,100 for the bedstead alone. Its an oak bed and has leather panels on the head board and on the end of the bed. In the shop the leather panels are chocolate brown on the display bed but mine got delivered yesterday and the leather is bitter chocolate, you would think it was black if you didnt look at it closely. I wasnt told anything about variation in colour so didnt expect it to be different and to be honest I dont like the bitter chocolate colour leather, it doesnt go with the bedroom.

Any advice on what to do? I am gonna ring the shop today but how do I approach them about it?

I know my rights etc with regard to consumer law but I was wondering did anyone ever have this problem before.

Re: Bought expensive bed, but wasnt the same as the one in the shop

It sounds fairly straightforward to me. You ordered it based on what was on display, reasonably expecting your item to be the same. It wasn't the same. Don't see how they can even raise an eyebrow.

As with all matters like this, personally, I would be polite but firm and completely direct.

I just want them to change the panels tho, I want to keep the bed. Thanks for that, I was thinking the same.

Did you get the wrong model or the same model as the one on display, except the one on display has been in a sun-soaked window for some time.

Not saying this changes anything, just be prepared for this potentially being thrown in the mix when you approach them

No I got the correct model but the leather is a completely different colour. I understand that leather colour can vary but this is a different shade of brown altogether. Well if they do throw that in the mix they should have it displayed in the shop. I am prepared for him to say tough **** tbh but I know my rights and I know how to complain properly so I'd say I will be okay.

Although I rang earlier and the manager is "busy" and will get back to me before the close of business.

Although I rang earlier and the manager is "busy" and will get back to me before the close of business.

I think it's better if you don't phone - it's easier for people to be difficult/dismissive over the phone. I'd just show up in the shop, unannounced, with the panels, and state your case.

They will also be much less likely to 'cause a scene' in the shop if there are other customers around.

The shop is in Navan though so I aint to keen on travelling to Navan altho if I dont get a good response from them I will be goin straight up on Saturday morning.

If it is just the panels, would you be willing to take the ones on display?

Did you get the wrong model or the same model as the one on display, except the one on display has been in a sun-soaked window for some time.

Perhaps strong fluorescent lighting may have had an effect on the colour also.

I doubt it. Even on their website the leather is chocolate brown so unless it was bleached in the picture aswell which is very unlikely. They came back to us and said that leather does vary and that its only available in one colour for that bed. But why is it a different colour in the shop? If they told us at the time of buying the bed that the colour would be different we wouldnt have bought it as we wanted the brown leather to match the colours of the room.

They aint very helpful in that shop either and the manager is never available as he is always "busy". I am gonna ask them about the display bed, if they say no to that then there is definitely something going on. Someone suggested they have the fancy leather on display but use the cheap leather they bulk bought on the actual beds that are sold.

Just got off the phone to the consumers association and they said to go and take a photo of the bed and then take one of our bed so I will do that and then take it from there.

Even if they did agree to provide the one on display they will probably start mentioning charges for delivery! Best to take your photos to the shop when the manager is there and sort it out then.

Back