HE Condenser Boilers

pnh

asked this before-but no response.I had an outfit-approved by Bord Gais-look at my requirements for replacement gas boiler.It would vent at side of house but the guy warned me that it may cause nuisance to near neighbour due to steam.This was news to me -I had not heard about steam problem before.
Rang Bord Gais and they said they were not aware of a problem.

Anyone have one of these? Is steam a big problem/nuisance factor.Bord Gais by the way are now sending someone else out.Any experience with these boilers-comments appreciated-need to make a decision

A quick Google seems to back up the excessive steam issues. There's a [broken link removed] dedicated to this. There are suggestions that venting vertically through the roof is an option, it would involve more expense though.
Leo

I have searched the web for info but I was really looking for the experience of anyone who has one of these.Its an odd situation where the guys Bord Gais recommended seem to be backing away a little-I asked about a vertical vent but they didnt recommend it for reasons I couldnt quite establish.Its odd that Bord Gais are saying they are not aware of issues with these boilers.Guess I will have to wait and see what the new guys say.

One thing to consider, would the vent be pointing towards a neighbour's window?

Well its at the side of the house-there is a widow and I would imagine a lot of steam would be a nuisance.I gather there is a vertical pipe possible but we will see.

Hi pnh,
I have one of these babies. It's on an extension. When my neighbour saw it she got a bit of a fright allright. It does issue quite a bit of white steam - I suppose it does look conspicious as there is no other steam coming out of roofs or houses.

If I knew before I think I would have made it a point to tell my neighbour (as the wind blows it her way) and explain nicely that it's quite harmless....

Thanks for reply-is it a nuisance though?has neighbour complained.I wanted one of these because they are High Efficiency but dont want to create problem with neighbour-I believe it is possible to vent them into a vertical pipe
so I will ask about that

Deirdra said:
...it's quite harmless....

If the steam is blowing towards their windows there is the potential for it to cause damage to their property.

Found [broken link removed] on the Ideal Boilers site, look at the last two paragraphs under "Flue Positions."
Leo

Thank you Leo thats an interesting article and makes me better informed whenever the next guy comes to survey this.
perhaps I should send it to Bord Gais who told me they are not aware of any problem

Thanks for info Leo. You live and learn.

Steam from my boiler just blows towards my neighbours garden, as it's from an extension, it doesn't effect her windows. I just thought it looked unpleasant - as Leo's article says, the colder it is the more steam it omits and generally the wind direction blows it to her side. Neighbour hasn't complained - just was probably surprised or alarmed when she saw it first.

Fog or steam- what's the difference? As long as the outlet of the condensing boiler is more then a cartain distance away from any ventilation opening (window,door, etc...,check the boiler's manual) it is legal, any nuisance has to be accepted by your neighbour as a modern form of life.The fumes of an outdated open fire are more dangerous to health, just to compare the two.

while I accept your comments about open fires I would not subscribe to the view that any nuisance-even if it is legal-has to be accepted by my neighbour-I am not that heavy handed-and enjoy a reasonable relationship with this immediate neighbour and would like to keep it that way.
I was just looking for comments from users of this type boiler about the amount of steam produced and u answered that in another post -so thanks for that at least