Hdtv

Christy

I am going to change my old telly, after nearly 8 years good service it is beginning to go on the blink. Should I be considering a HDTV or would I be just as well off with a normal one?

Christy

Christy,

Go for an LCD version if possible. They have a much crisper, sharp picture and other advantages such as they use less electricty, are lighter and will probably last longer. The HDTV's have a higher resolution.

gel said:
Christy,

Go for an LCD version if possible. They have a much crisper, sharp picture and other advantages such as they use less electricty, are lighter and will probably last longer. The HDTV's have a higher resolution.

There's more to it than that.

Firstly, there are no HD programmes at present. When they become commercially available it will be on $ky and you'll pay extra.

Secondly, some sets are 'HD-Compatible' and some are 'HD-Ready'. The 'HD-Compatible' sets will accept HD signals and then display them in SD.

Some sets are only compatible with US HD (720 lines) and not all will work fully with $ky's 1080 line service. If you intend using it, you must make sure the set has a the new secure connector that will be required to connect to the $ky HD box.

Maybe wait a while or just buy a nice reasonably priced LCD (non-HD) and demote it to the kitchen when the HD sets go mainstream.

I was under the impression that the HD-Ready sets were the one's to buy as these were the ones certified by the TV makers and "compatible" weren't as good ( from a SBPost article around Christmas).

Isn't the World Cup being shot and shown in HD?

Go for HDTV ready LCD, it will be future proof, make sure it also has HDMI...XBOX360 uses HDTV and so will the new playstation 3, which will have blue ray for playing the new DVD format as HDTV....SKY HD will be out in the UK for around april/may...

Back