Hdmi

D

doug99

Hi,
A basic question.

I have just purchased a 5.1 surround sound system with DVD player.
I have a SKY HD Box.

At the moment I get surround sound when playing DVDs but not through sky. Do I need to run a second HDMI cable from the TV to the new DVD player.

Thanks
Doug

Hi Doug,
The Sky HD box only has 1 HDMI out which needs to go to the TV.
The box has an optical digital out which carries the 5.1 surround channels.

The usual way would be to run cable from the Sky box directly to the surround sound amp.
The picture goes to the TV via HDMI, and the sound goes to the s/s amp.
You will have to select the sound source on the s/s box to match the input (usually AUX or something like that), but it should do the trick.
If the DVD player doesn't have an optical input, you may need to use RCA phono connection from SKY > DVD, but this will only be stereo rather than s/s.

Charlie

I am wondering if i have set mine up correctly also?
I have a full high def tv, Onkyo receiver, sky HD and blue ray. I have connected tv to receiver by hdmi, blue ray to receiver via Hdmi and sky HD to receiver via hdmi...? Is that ok?

Sounds good, Landlord. HDMI carries audio and video, so if you can use HDMI all the way, it's the best way to go.

I have a Sky+ Box, shouldnt there be a HDMI slot on it? Not teccie minded but I thought I could improve my picture by using HDMI to connect tv to Sky. Am I dreaming?

I have a Sky+ Box, shouldnt there be a HDMI slot on it? Not teccie minded but I thought I could improve my picture by using HDMI to connect tv to Sky. Am I dreaming?

Not if it's a standard Sky+ box rather than a Sky+HD one.

Back