HDMI cable

slookie

Hope someone can help. We bought a new tv in the last year...its the samsung PS42Q96HD model. Now, i went into a shop to buy a HDMI cable during xmas. The guy basically told me that there was no point in getting a cable as the tv wasn't actually HD? I didnt even get a chance to tell him the model, but told him I had it a year. Baically said I would be wasting my money. I was under the impression that if I got a HDMI cable and connect the DVD recorder to the TV that the DVD would play in HD?? Am i right? this is a link to the manual for the tv. Hope someone can help. Thanks

http://www.samsung.com/ie/support/d...ownload&prd_ia_cd=02010200&disp_nm=PS-42Q96HD

What was the name of the shop so I will never go there. This is a good TV and it is HD ready and its a good spec. Just looking for the full spec but if your dvd player has an HDMI outlet then by using an HDMI cable you will get the best possible quality.

HD is a bugger and has been ruined by all the jargon.

To get true HD from a dvd player it has to be BLU RAY unless its the other fornat HD Dvd that has been made obslelete. And the DVD has to be BLU RAY and its dearer, another con.

HD is all down to resolution and TRUE HD is 1920 x 1080 but loads of TV will downscale images to fit the screen. I have a 37 panasonic and its 1024 x 720 or something. The idea of all the resolutions is to make stuff affordable. And make money. HD ready means it will display a HD image. True HD means it display the image in the format transmitted ie no upscaling or downscaling.

Get an HDMI lead but dont spend a fortune these are another con. The signal is digital ie oo's and 11's so cable does not have a lot to do.

Your DVD may be able to output at different resolutions 1080i best and your tv with scale accordingly to fit.

By the way if you have a sky HD box then you can see BBC HD for free.

good luck

noah

There really is so much jargon about the whole HD scene. I have a Philips 32 inch HD ready TV and for Christmas I bought a Sony 350 Blu-Ray player. I spoke to various people about which HDMI cable to buy and i got a million different answers. Prices ranged from €20 - €145.

The best advice I got was it "either works or it doesn't "

I finally went on Ebay and bought one for £1.99 with another £1.00 shipping total cost was under €5.00 and it seems to work perfectly as any Blu-Ray dvd I've watched is perfect.

I bought a HD ready TV & upscaling DVD player (not HD or BluRay) before Christmas. The guy in DID showed me a similar set-up playing a standard DVD into 2 of the same TV; one SCART and one with a Monster cable. The difference was sufficiently significant for me to buy the Monster cable too.

At home, I played a recent movie on DVD (Star Wars Attack of the Clones) and the upscaling was tremendous. The Monster cable was expensive but, to me, worth it because of the improvement in picture quality.

I'll say nothing... But there must be more profit in flogging a HDMI cable than a €1,000+ TV!

BTW Scart is analogue, HDMI is digital, HDMI is the same as DVI with sound included on the cable and different connector. I could go on... But if you pay more that €10 (15 at a push) for a basic short HDMI patch lead you were done.

Went into Currys yesterday and paid €30 for a HDMI cable. Came home, ripped open the packaging, connected it to the tv.....only to find that there is no HDMI output in the DVD recorder! I never bothered to check, just assumed there would be one as it came in a package with the tv and the stand. I need to buy surround sound system anyway, and most of those come with a DVD player anyway. Just have to make sure it has a HDMI output. By the way, any recommendations on which one of these I should buy. Dont want to spend more than €200.