HDMI Cable - Laptop to TV

DubShelley

Hi There,

I need to buy a HDMI Cable to connect my laptop to TV to watch movies etc...can someone point me in the right direction as I've searched a few websites and I'm not sure what the difference is in all the various ones available, i.e. "HDMI - HDMI" or "HDMI - DVI-D".

Any advice? It's probably a dumb question but I'm afraid I'm not the most techically minded gal in the world

Thanks.

You will just need to check the the port of the laptop. If it is a strightforward hdmi port (google for pictures of what one looks like) then all you need is a bog-standard hdmi cable. Don't waste your money on very expensive ones as they are all the same.

Without knowing the make and model of the TV and the laptop or the types of connections on each, it will be impossible to advise you. Maybe take the laptop and the user manual for the TV to an electronics shop (Currys, PC World, Peats, Maplins, etc.) and see what they can offer.

Unfortunately this is one of those "how long is a piece of string?" questions.

+1
[broken link removed]

Not being v v techie myself I sometimes am not aware of how widely known some technology is - but here goes - have you heard of media players?, basically its an external harddrive that comes with a remote control and it plugs straight into your telly with a standard HDMI.

So no messing with laptops.

Try dabs.ie or pixmania.ie the brand I have is Iomega Screenplay, 2 terabyte capacity, think it cost in or around €120 but maybe cheaper at this stage, great yoke. So just make sure you get a media player not just and external harddrive

I have a dell inspiron 1525

It has a HDMI port on the side.

I got a HDMI to HDMI from ebay

Long enough to run around the edge of the room for very reasonable money. Great pic..

If you already have a HDMI source plugged into the tv eg bluray player PS3 just plug this out and see does the cabel fit the laptop.

Bring the laptop to DID or powercity or harvey normans or peats and just ask them.

Ive got an Acer Laptop and a Phillips telly. I looked at the HDMI ports on both, saw they looked bog standard and ordered a long cabe off ebay for 7 quid or so. Works a treat.

Often watch documentaries on C4 on demand, or youtube wth it.

I bought a 2 mt long hdmi cable from Tesco 2 months back for €10. They had 1mt and 3mt also.