HD TV and poor quality pictures

Delboy

hopefully someone can offer me some advice on this.
Just got a Philips HD TV but am very disappointed with the quality of the picture especially when watching football games- whole blotches of the pitch seem brown and you can see these bltoches moving in 'lumps' artifically across the screen. As I've only got analogue ntl, I did'nt expect to have HD quality TV, but I did expect good quality images.
any ideas what to do as I'm in no way a techie

Just got a Philips HD TV

Do you mean a Philips HD Ready LCD TV ?

What size is it also ? Often the LCD screens showing analogue pictures are nowhere near as good as the digital version.

I still rate CRT tvs as best for analogue signals.

This is to be expected with Large High Deff TV's, as you are basically stretching the image to make it fill the higher resolution, however I would not expect it to be as bad as you describe on a 37". Is it 1080p?
Try lowering the sharpness of the image. When you say you have analogue NTL, are you connecting it to the TV via scart or coax?

Was in a similar position, switched over to NTL digital (which is now the same cost, or a little cheaper) and find the picture alot better.
It's still not perfect, I suspect the bit rate is not very high on some channels as others. Also my cable probably isn't very good as sometimes you can see the picture momentarily degenerate (even on a still image), or could it be broadband users on the same wire?
At the moment I'm tempted by Sky's HD marketing...

I would have to agree. Analogue is usually quite adequate for our old 14" to 28"screens. Think of it as spreading a fairly poor picture over a larger canvas.

thanks for that. kinda guessed that the analogue signal was the problem but just wanted to check if the quality should be as bad as it currently is, especially when watching football