HD DVD vs Blu Ray

Westbound

Hi

Can someone enlighten me as to the difference between the above formats, as it seems Blu ray is the way of the future. Is HD DVD the format we all use currently or is also a new format that has just lost out? Given that Warner have decided to use Blu Ray, I assume that everyone will go down this road and that our DVD players will become obsolete as they won't be able to play Blu Ray? Is this correct?

Last edited:
Hi
I assume that everyone will go down this road and that our DVD players will become obsolete as they won't be able to play Blu Ray? Is this correct?

Standard DVD players can't play DVD-HD or Blue Ray anyway. Personally, I think Blue Ray might win this 21st century 'VHS v Betamax', although I think some high end players might handle both technologies, which might filter down to the ordinary consumer.

BR seems to be edging it. I think the main difference is that BR can hold a little more data and also it get be set up for regions like current DVD's. HD dvd cannot.

I would do a search on google for more info though.

looks like this war is nearly over. At CES this week in Las Vegas, Warner decided to go exclusively with blu-ray followed yesterday by New Line Cinema and HBO. The only major studios holding out are Paramount and Universal, who incidentally have a clause with the HD-DVD movement (toshiba etc.) allowing it to release pics on Blu-ray at any stage if they wanted to switch. Blockbuster in the US are not stocking hd-dvd titles on their shelves either.

Microsoft is still supporting HD-DVD through the X-Box add-on. A cheap stand-alone HD-DVD player is coming to market soon. The Hd-DVD format includes 'interactive' features (I think it links to online stores where you can buy 'merchandise') But, it's obvious in stores here that there's twice as many Blue-Ray titles. One analyst has suggested that M$'s objective is to spoil the format war so that downloadable, pay-every-time-you-watch movies will become the only option.

Wait and see... A year at the most should see it decided, in my opinion, but it does appear that Blu-Ray will win.

Wait and see... A year at the most should see it decided, in my opinion, but it does appear that Blu-Ray will win.

It's a done deal...Blu-Ray has won the day. The major studios and even the adult industry have gone with Blu-Ray.

Blu-ray is now almost certain to win and this is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

Downloadable movies are all very well in theory but I'd rather not have to try it over my crappy eircom connection. Downloading a single blu-ray type movie would also max out my DL limit.

Also, the PS3 is one of the best BR players out there and I'm looking for an excuse to get one once a few good games come out.

My new laptop came with HD-DVD as standard. It also plays traditional DVDs of course but this is a bit of a pain in the backside. I wonder if they will continue to manufacture blank discs compatible with HD-DVD? Thankfully I have a PS3 also so it isn't that big a deal.

Was in the market for a new DVD recorder

Was thinking of getting [broken link removed]

Is it worth waiting for a blue ray or will it be a couple of years before we see blue ray dvd recorders ?

On Channel 4 News they are after saying that Toshiba are pulling the plug on HD DVD.

So its bye bye HD DVD and Blue Ray all the way now. So finally i can start to buy a specific format now that the war is over.

Sony were always going to win it with the PS3 behind them.

If you check out the recent prices of players you will also see the outcome.

BR is holding its price, and the prices on HD-DVD have plummeted - a clear sign that the shops are trying to offload something that is about to become worthless in the very near future.

Are Blu Ray players region specific ? Like say dvd players ?

If so, can they be "chipped" ?

And lastly - where is the best place to buy Blu Ray films ?

Ta

Are Blu Ray players region specific ? Like say dvd players ?

If so, can they be "chipped" ?

And lastly - where is the best place to buy Blu Ray films ?

Ta

Yes

Yes (at least the Samsung BD-P1000 has a handset hack afaik)

www.play.com do them but I'm not sure how they compete on price for Blu-Ray

For other users of AAM - you can actually get modified blu-ray players here - www.stegan.com or you can buy the kit and DIY, but you should look at the caveats before attempting the fix yourself. Makes the players region free hence you can buy cheaper blu-ray discs from the USA for example, and all legal.