Hawaii For The Summer

kd1964

Hello
My daughter is going to Hawaii for three Summer months, can anyone advise if she needs Holiday Insurance and if so, which would be the best.
She is a member of VHI.

Regards
KD

of course she needs holiday insurance - why wouldnt she?

Well I figured she needed it, but she was saying as a student she will be ok .
Which insurance company would be the best to go with.
Thanks
k

it all depends , you will just have to go online and get quotations. i use aib as they give a discount if you have health insurance so that will probably be the same for you as she has vhi. hawaii is a US state so its very very important that she has proper insurance - a broken leg could see ye bankrupt!!

Im not sure if she will be covered with VHI as she is out of the country for so long in one go? The easiest insurance would be with the J1 providers, usit etc.

get the multi travel Insurance with VHI (annual). its only 45€ and will be worth it for piece of mind if anything.

edited to add: you'll need it as well as your standard VHI package.

Also get extra for sports incase she picks up surfing hawaii is a great surfing place

Definitely need to have insurance of some sort for a stay in the US

Be aware of trip limits on annual travel insurance policies ... if you have to claim they will almost certainly ask you for copies of your ticket and if that shows you're out of the country for longer than the trip limit on the insurance policy then your cover may be invalidated.

e.g. for the VHI policy referred to above the limit per trip is 60 days - you can pay (quite a bit) more to extend this to 3 months / 6 months

Insurance is vital and if she is going on a J1 ,I thought it was obligatory. Its not enough to rely on VHI insurance. To be honest I'd be so fussy about this that I wouldn't leave it up to her. I wouldn't be at all happy with her travelling there without seeing the documentation. My son paid a lot for his insurance with his J1 but at least one knew one wouldn't lose one's house if he was ill or injured. Also check re things like paragliding and bungee jumping , a lot of these activities will exclude insurance cover for subsequent injuries. About five years ago a friend of mine got sick in the US and had to have a cardiac procedure done. He was in hospital about five days. Bill 60,000 US dollars. Was he glad to have health insurance.
At the end of the day you will end up paying for her if she is not insured..
Hope she has a lovely time.