Having problems shutting down with XP

CCOVICH

Whenever I try to shutdown my laptop using Start->Turn off computer->Turn off , nothing happens, and I have to go through the sequence again before the computer will shutdown. I have tried using XP Help, but that only deals with cases where the computer fails to respond after you have tried shutting down (this is not the case here). This problem has not always been evident. Can anyone help?

What changed (e.g. new software installed, configuration settings changed, etc.) between when it worked OK and when the problems arose? Maybe you could try rolling back to a previous System Restore point (you can always undo this): Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore. I had a problem on my laptop at the weekend (Sony Vaio Fn+F3/F4/F5/F6 keys for volume and brightness control mysteriously stopped working) and rolling back to a previous System Restore point solved the problem - although I'm not 100% sure why yet.

I had a similar problem but never really got to the root of the problem I did what CM suggests above and rolled it back a few days and it hasn't caused a problem since.

This was the first time that I used System Restore and I was impressed. Unfortunately I forgot to look at the list of files that were being restored and can't find any logfile that details these so that I can get a better idea of what changed.

Does system restore remove software that has been installed, or does it just reconfigure?

The only thing I can think that may have caused this problem is a tool that was installed called iSystem Wiper, but I have disabled this and the problem still didn't go away. I guess I will uninstall it and see what happens.

CCOVICH said:
Does system restore remove software that has been installed, or does it just reconfigure?

I think it can roll back to a point before the installation of programs alright thus removing them. On the other hand it should be possible to undo the rollback if it doesn't solve your problem. And you also get a list of files that are restored (the one I omitted to look at!) so that you can get a better idea of what will be changed. There is a detailed technical article on how System Restore works [broken link removed]. There is a less technical overview . There are lots more articles on how it works on the Microsoft/MSDN site and on other third party websites.

The only thing I can think that may have caused this problem is a tool that was installed called iSystem Wiper, but I have disabled this and the problem still didn't go away. I guess I will uninstall it and see what happens.

If the problem only started occurring after this was installed and not other major changes were made then it could certainly be circumstantial evidence that this tool is the cause of the problem.

Back