Having central heating installed-should they take old heaters away

badbrian

Hi there. Just wondering can anyone advise if they know the answer to this. We are having gas central heating put into our apartment.
The apartment is over 20 years old and previously had electric heaters in the bedrooms, hall and bathroom and we had a storage heater in the living room. I had assumed that we would have to dispose of the old heaters ourselves but the wife suggested that the gas fitters might be obliged to take them away with them what with the recycing charge we pay on white goods.
It was never discussed and wasn't put in the written quote we received. Judging by the work done today (which looks good by the way) I would think that they are not planning to take them away. Am I allowed to demand they remove the old heaters (particularly the storage heater -long may it rest in peace).
Cheers
Brian

There is no reason why the fitters would have an obligation to take away old
rads, I'm pretty sure you cannot demand this.

Tradesmen are charged a lot these days for dumping, so are most unlikely to take anything away unless they are legally or contracturaly obliged to.

We had our heating changed over in the summer and the fitters said no to removing the storage heaters. Due to the sheer weight in taking the stoage heaters apart, they helped us with it as a goodwill gesture.

Actually I figured they wouldn't be obliged to after some reflection. I'll ask them nicely and see what they say. I took the storage heater apart myself. Those bricks weigh something else! (It's not that I mind paying for it. It's just so awkward.)
Thanks folks.
Brian

You're correct that they're not obliged to - the WEEE directive and the related charge will not, afaik, apply as I don't believe there is a WEEE charge for your new gas system [with WEEE you are generally entitled, when buying and having new electrical or electronic appliances delivered / installed, to have the old ones removed and disposed of with no extra charge].

You are also legally responsible for the proper disposal of the old appliances, so be very wary indeed of asking the fitters to "help you out". Either take them to your local waste park / Civic amenity site / WEEE facility yourself, or ensure that they are disposed of via a properly licensed waste management company.

Last edited:
Actually I figured they wouldn't be obliged to after some reflection. I'll ask them nicely and see what they say. I took the storage heater apart myself. Those bricks weigh something else! (It's not that I mind paying for it. It's just so awkward.)
Thanks folks.
Brian

Unbelievable weight...we had five fairly big heaters to take apart...no idea what to do with the bricks!

Back