Having a wife not politically correct!

Duke of Marmalade

VISA foned me this morning querying a few trans, here is an extract from the conversation:

Me: "Don't recognise those trans, maybe they were by my wife"

VISA girl: "Can you ask your partner?"

:eek:Heck, I told her I had a wife, is that something to be ashamed of these days?

its probably habit, i do it myself on the phones at work, i remember starting on the phones years ago and saying things like ...'oh your husband collected it already etc...' and i had been corrected on this, so now i refer to everyone as their partner....

An elderly neighbour was maddened recently to be invited to a wedding and to bring his partner. As he knew the wedding couple well and was married to his WIFE for over 40 years, he couldn't understand it. They didn't get any present from that particular gentleman.

I find that strange as well. If someone is offended by their partner being called their wife/husband then why assume that someone else will not be offended if their wife/husband is referred to as their partner?

I grew up with a gay uncle so “partner” always meant gay partner for me...

PC nonsense the lot of it. Mrs. V. is my wife, my partner, my missus...as long as the expression is not intended to offend or insult, who cares? I'm her husband, partner, auld' fella, ball and chain etc.

The biographical note on each of Ian Rankin's books states that he lives with his "partner and two sons". However Rankin in interviews always refers to "my wife". Go figure :confused:

there once was an elderly man, and when we refferred to his wife as partner he joked that it sounded like he was having an affair!! he was delighted wiht himself hahah!!! the elderly couple giggled there way out the door! :D

There is a big difference between partner and husband/wife imo. I would never ever refer to my boyfriend as my partner even though we live together and are not married. I think the word partners says "this is my other half whom I have no intentions of marrying".

There is a big difference between partner and husband/wife imo. I would never ever refer to my boyfriend as my partner even though we live together and are not married. I think the word partners says "this is my other half whom I have no intentions of marrying".

About 25k and a meal for 170 in my case:D

Ron BurgundyRe: Having a wife not politically correct!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee80 http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=744747#post744747

About 25k and a meal for 170 in my case:D

:D he he I hear ya. I could never be someones Partner though. If they are not committed enough to marry me then thats the relationship doomed from the offset. Not that its something I ask on a first date :p

God no, id def prefer to be somebodies partner, than his girlfriend. in the age where people are marrying late i wouldnt like to be referred to as a girlfriend if i was 30??
especially if living together or were with eachother a good while!!

I don't mind what I'm called so long as someone doesn't mean any offence by it. But a real pet hate is letters addressed to "Mr & Mrs Joe Bloggs".

An elderly neighbour was maddened recently to be invited to a wedding and to bring his partner. As he knew the wedding couple well and was married to his WIFE for over 40 years, he couldn't understand it. They didn't get any present from that particular gentleman.
Did he go to the wedding?

No, would probably not have gone anyway but would have given a present as the groom was a good friend of his children.

Back