Having a baby in holland

boots

Hi,

My wife is expecting our second child in August and is hoping to move here to the Netherlands to have it.
(I have been working in the NL ince last Oct and fly home most weekends).
We would then live here until spring 2010 when my Contract finishes.

I'm trying to find about the costs / health insurance details for us.
We have a Quinn policy in reland but they have already said that won't cover us.
Has anybody any experience of doing this?
Thanks for any help
Boots

As far as know, from friends who have lived there, and time spent there on business, the public health system in the Netherlands is one of the best in the world and very well funded.
I would be surpirsed if you had to pay to have a baby in Holland.

Also, 90% of births in Holland are home births. It is standard to go to hospital only if there is a valid medical reason. Healthy women with health babies always give birth at home with the help of a midwife.

Try www.rollercoaster.ie. You may find Irish people living there who use that website.

My first child was born in Holland and their Natural approach to pregnancy and childbirth scared the bejaysus out of me in the beginning but they soon had me convinced.
It is a fantastic place to have a baby but be warned epidural is a dirty word. The hospital I was due to give birth at told me they only administered them Mon-Fri 9-5 !!!
They have a great attitude though and it was from them that I learned not to treat pregnancy as a sickness which seems to be the mindset both here and in the UK. Their natural birthing attitude convinced me later on with my second (in the UK) to have a home birth which was a great success.

So long as you have been paying Dutch tax, you will be entitled to a Kraamzorg. This is in essence a pediatric nurse / housekeeper. She will come to your house for 7 days after the birth of your child to help your wife in every way she can. Mine did the hoovering and the ironing !!
This is done because as soon as the baby is born, mother and child are sent home asap. I gave birth at 10:30pm and by 10:30am the following day I was home. Good Kraamzorgs are hard to find though, approach your doctor, he will refer you to a midwife who will then refer you to a Kraamzorg. These wonder women need to be booked early but are completely covered by your taxes.

Good luck to Mr and Mrs Boots, Holland is a very child friendly country :)

The Dutch Health Care system is one of the best in the world, I'd be amazed if your wife was not covered by the social insurance system there if you've been working there. The standard of English is also excellent so I guess you just have to pop down to your local health insurance office for information.

As other posters stated they are also famed for their home birth policy.

Thanks everyone for your knowledge.
Insurance situation is a little complicated as I am paying taxes in Irl rather than in Holland,so we need to get insurance here somehow.....
boots

Well would a company give you insurance if your wife is pregnant? Even in Ireland if you join the VHI there are rules on this. I know when we went abroad there was some 6 month rule but because we had been in social insurance (prsi) I think the 6 months was waived.

Have you enquired how much it would cost to just pay the hospital direct?

Back