Haven Holiday Parks in UK - Yorkshire

Betsy Og

Howdy,

Anyone any experience of the Haven group? The set up is a bit like Trabolgan, or something like Butlins except you can bring your own caravan etc. We went to Cornwall last year with Hendra and we had a great time, so I'm comfortable with the general concept, just wondering how anyone found Haven Parks in particular. Prices are resonable (take note Trabolgan....)

The site we're looking at is Primrose Valley on the Yorkshire coast, looks good, weather is of course the main risk but with indoor pool and stuff to see locally (the bit I like) I'm not obsessed about weather.

50% discounts before the end of January if anyone is looking at this type of holiday.

Read that link, the issue everyone had was re hygiene/state of repair of rented caravans. We have our own caravan so no issues there. Plenty of good comments too and, as with all things, after a good kicking they'll probably be extra good in the short term at least.

So, given our own accomodation, I dont think it would put me off.

There's a site called HolidayWatchdog.com that has a good few reviews on it. Only trouble is that they are wildly divergent from 10/10 to 1/10. On average its probably 7/10.

Again if you factor out accomodation related negatives you're left with, in some persons opinion:

1. Too expensive - arcade games & food (universally true I think)
2. Too crowded, queues, not enough staff etc - seems to be mainly an August issue so as planning end of July/start of August for 10 days it shouldnt be too much of a problem.

So not the ringing endorsement you'd like but maybe better to have tempered opinions before we get there and hope it'll be a good surprise (reviews of place last year were also a bit mixed but we found it great). Overall I think I'll chance it, plenty of people loved it, especially those with young kids so the odds are with us ...... (has a ring of "famous last words" :D).

Hi there

We stayed at Haven in Wales last year. We loved it - it really is geared for kiddies - and they had a blast.

We paid extra for a new caravan and we really couldnt complain about anything - we are hoping to visit another one at Easter - for the price you are paying, it is a cheap and cheerful holiday!

Hi Tomorrow which park did u visit in wales and which type of caravan did u go for .What were the facalities like and what time of year did u go.I am considering this compared to going to spain with 4 young kids.The whole getting the kids plus hand luggage onto the plane nearly drove me mad last year and the prices at haven parks in wales seems not too bad.

Hi Ballybrone

I understand what you mean about bringing kids on a plane.

We visited Presthaven Sands.

I think it was the prestige caravan, it was advertised as the 2010 model and it was brand new. It was also in a brand new area of the park that was very close to all the facilities. (The park is very large and some of the caravans are quite a distance away)

It was early June when we visited so it was not too crowded, but wasnt too quiet. I can see it getting very busy in July/August.

The park is right beside the beach, it has a pool with slides etc. Theres amusements, bouncy castle, go karts, crazy golf, playground etc. There a restaurant, pub, a couple of takeaways, launderette and shop.

Theres kids clubs and activities every morning and a show for the kiddies every evening, where mum and dad can have a drink at the same time. Our 3 boys are very young so we always left around 7.30 but I think there was a disco etc later on.

We didnt travel very far from the park with the young kids so I cant really comment on local attractions, but it is a seaside area and seems quite touristy.

If your kids are older I could see there being alot of requests for money for all the different amusements etc but we didnt have that problem.

As I said above it is a cheap and cheerful holiday - good fun - but be prepared for a few days of really children focused entertainment.

I hope this helps

Tomorrow

Back