Have you microchipped your dog?

pinoy

What's really the advantage for this?
Vets don't scan when you bring in a dog, so how will they know if the dog is stolen or not?

pinoy said:
What's really the advantage for this?
Vets don't scan when you bring in a dog, so how will they know if the dog is stolen or not?

They do scan lost dogs as indeed will the pound. It's directed more at that than recovering stolen dogs.

I agree with Eurofan. I doubt anyone would steal our mutt but she's microchipped so that if she does get lost and somehow loses the collar, if she's taken to any vet or pound we will be able to get her back.

I found an injured, collarless dog at my front door a few weeks back, when I took him to the Vet the first thing he did was to check for a microchip (there wasn't one). After a day or so he was well enough to clear the garden wall and make off, so I never found out if he made it home. A microchip would have made it much easier; I'm thinking of getting my cat done.

Our red retriever was microchipped a week ago – for the same reasons mentioned above – if she goes stray, at least at the pound, someone would give us a ring, hopefully.

On another note, the vet’s bill is more like a mini-mortgage these days – spay, booster, flea and microchip – a tenner short of 300 euros! Yikes!![font=&quot][/font]

You must be in the Dublin area, are you? We don't have a dog but the missus has a moggy, which gets its annual visit to the vets for the usual stuff. I know cats mightn't be that much trouble........but €300 sounds very steep!

Swords. I should have gone somewhere local (Drogheda, just after moving here, don't know much about local vet facilities yet..)

Back