Have you been to Crete?

Angrygirl

I have booked a holiday to Crete with my boyfriend and his brother and girlfriend... Sooo excited until i'm hearing horrible reports bout it, its dirty and the accommodation is horrible!!!

Can anyone thats been there let me know if these reports are true??

Thanks

Of course it is both true and false, there will be good and bad accommodation and people will have good and bad experiences.

Your best bet is to just go and enjoy yourself. I was there last year and found the accomodation, the people and the whole experience fine.

We went there 4 years ago and had one of our best holidays ever.The people are so friendly.

My husband and I went to crete about three years ago and although the accommodation was basic we had a great holiday.
What part of crete are you going to? We were based in the stalis resort and found the beaches very busy there so we hired a moped for the week and set off every morning and found quiet beaches further east.
We also did alot of travelling by moped - beautiful scenery and the history of crete was what interested us most.

Check out tripadvisor.com, there are plenty of tips, reviews and comments on night-life, clubs, pubs, beaches and history. There are even reviews of the accommodation.

We are even planning returning to the area again this year but I think we will head to one of the islands of greece, maybe santorini or mykonos.

Enjoy!!

We are going just outside stalias..
The moped sounds great, will have to do that..
i know when u go somewhere u run the risk of it bein not the best but have never heard as many bad reports bout a place till i mentioned crete..

I was so lookin forward to it and now i'm not pushed :(

Hi,

If you haven't been to Greece before, you might find it a bit rough and ready but I think it's all part of the charm! They tend to use single beds so be prepared to do a bit of pushing together or if a proper double is important, try to sort it by email before you arrive.

I stayed in Gouves, a tiny quiet resort not too far from Stalis, and had a blast. That said, we were really only using it as a base to go travelling around Greece (it's not from from Heraklion and you can get ferries from there to Athens, Santorini and other islands).

I'd definitely recommend getting off the beaten track. One of the nicest days we had was in the old village of Gouves, a short walk from the resort and we had great craic playing backgammon (tavli) with a cold Mythos and some yummy souvlaki and chatting with all the old men playing with their worry beads. I LOVE Greece, and Crete is no exception, I'm sure you'll have a great time :) <jealously sighs>.

Crete is great. Yes the accommodation can be a bit basic but was not in the apartment much during the day. I've stayed both in Hersonnis and Stalis. I liked them both. The Greek people are lovely.

you should defo go across the island to chania and the beaches round there - far less touristy - lovely drive and the accom over there is cheap so worth spending a night there as well - great walk through the Samaria Gorge if you're up for it - about 16k of stunning scenery and a nice beach and boat trip at the end!

thanks for that Doogo, it sounds lovely, dunno if boyfriend would be up for a 16k walk but i'd love it... might sulk till he goes :D

sorry - should have been clearer - need the car to go cross crete to chania - need to take a bus to the gorge, walk it, hop on a short boat trip to Paleochoro and take a bus back to chania - and if you think that's way too much like hard work,.... well you'd be missing out on the highlight of crete imho

Hi, my OH and I went to Crete 3 years ago. Stayed just ouside Old Hersonnis, food was brilliant in that little old town. We had a lovely time, but we had a major problem with mosquitos. I was bitten 20 times our first nite and they kept on nibbling all thru the week. My other half got destroyed on our last night. We had to go straight to hospital when we got back. It was apparently a very bad year for the mosquitos so maybe we were just unlucky but just be prepared.

Back