Have we lost our sense of decency?

aido71

This simply to vent and as forum name let off some steam:
The other evening whilst collecting my kids from training as we left the facility one of the coastguard helis was hovering overhead (venue has a river running alongside). As we exited there was across the road a lot of emergency vehicles/personnel who were obviously in the midst of some emergency.
However what bothered me was literally the crowds of people literally running to see what was up. Many had young children in tow and of course the obligatory mobile phone filming under way. I saw two EMTs witha gurney literally having to push through the throng.
I went on my way but my kids started discussing what they saw and were horrified with the behaviour of people (my eldest especially bothered by the parents dragging kids along). I subsequently learned the individual did not survive.
i just wondered have we any decency left or has everything just become an instagrammable/facebook event? Sad.

I suspect all that has changed is the recording aspect of it... rubber necking seems to be a part of human nature.

There was a huge fire in the first floor of a car park in a large Cork shopping centre rencenly It appears several people forewent (a) Treating the first car that was on fire with nearby fire extinguishers and (b) Took no notice of Fire Alarm buttons but continued to record the advance of the fire on their camera phones. Some driving outside the shopping centre used their camera phones while driving to record the extent of the black smoke ensuring a back-up of motor traffic.

I hear 300 people are out of work until June 2020 as the shopping centre is completely closed. Several businesses closed too. But, the event was recorded for posterity by stupid goons on their camera phones.

no different to what I see on the Motorway every day, if there is a crash people slow down to have a gawk.

Back