Have planning - what next??

thos

Folks,
Following 2 years of effort we finally got planning permission granted during the week but we're in a muddle now for the next steps. We don't have mortgage approval yet, so that is our priority, but we are being asked for builders quotes by our broker. The architect is asking if we want to proceed to tender stage, but I'm reluctant to get into that next phase until we have mortgage approval (in principle at least). Broker is alos looking for site valuation, but estate agent says he can only work for certain institutions. So I'm in a catch 22!

What's the best way to proceed? Is it still worthwhile getting architect to proceed to tender stage? What difference will a QS make? Is that something an architect will do anyway at the that stage?

Your help appreciated!

Thanks,
Tom

1. congrats
  2. ask your broker will the bank accept 'approx' quotes from a builder or are detailed drawings and detailed costs required.. i'm no expert but i understand in many cases you'll find the banks are now requiring the latter
  3. tender stage would seem to be the next rational step.
  4. once you've asked question 2 of your broker ,you should be a better position to answer this.
  5. ok, to be expected
  6. not familiar with this issue, but surely your broker should advise. have you a solicitor? you'll need on for the next stage and prehaps they could advise also
  7. define 'worth' yes in my biased opinion its is crucial to have detailed drawings before approaching builders or you'll never get a fixed cost
  8. a QS takes your archs tender drawings and compiles a list of what the builder should price for - the QS's speciality is costings and cost control through the build.
  9. your arch can tender directly with several builders and they'll return with prices. BUT that means that its the builders QS who will have complied the costings, I'd prefer if it was someone independent. so as i suggest above: costs are not an archs speciality, thats where the QS comes in.

Thanks for making sense of my post and for replying, greatly appreciated. I think I'm a bit clearer now on architect->QS->builder. Meeting architect and broker this week, so will hopefully get a better idea on what's requried.

Thanks again.

Tom