Have Laptop will travel (around the house)

justsally

I'm thinking of investing in a laptop, to supplement my Desktop which is upstairs in our house. I'd settled for a very basic laptop, just for surfing - I can use my Desktop for heavy stuff . Can anyone tell me where would be the best place to pick up a cheap laptop. I'm with Smart for broadband and want to buy a wireless router in order to use the laptop. I've spotted on AAM that a linksys wag54g would do the job - I'm hoping that this would be cheaper than the one which can be purchased from Smarttelecom. So, where's the best place for a cheap laptop and a linksys wag54g.

Thanks for any help.

I got the Lynksys thru komplett.ie

For the laptop the dell factory outlet would probably offer best value?

Roy

Me Again

Komplett.ie are temporarily out of stock of the router. Good price I believe E65, as against the Smart router of E140. If the delay is not too long I don't mind waiting. The Dell factory outlet seems to be just what I'm looking for.

Justsally

Thanks again for the post Onekeano,

I think I'll hold out and buy one from komplett - 'cause if I bought one through E Bay I'm not too good with techi things, so I wouldn't know if there was a part missing. At least with komplett I can be sure of getting the complete package.

Cheers

Justsally

Get the laptop from dell (making sure it has a centrino chipset)..
keep an eye out on the "for sale" forum on www.boards.ie
I picked up a netopia wireless dsl router for my brother (also adsl2 compatible)
jd

I have the WAG 54G as well. Good piece of kit, has never given me any problems. I think Linksys may have a newer model out now which might explain this one being out of stock, but €65 sounds like an excellent price.

onekeano said:
For the laptop the dell factory outlet would probably offer best value?

Whats the story with the outlet?

Where is it? Can you get good deals?

If you are going to buy a new wireless router, it makes sense to buy one with VOIP capability, so you can plug any normal land line phone in to it, make calls anywhere round the world for next to nothing. You dont even have to have the computer on to make these calls. Some examples of these routers are
DrayTek Vigor 2600/2800/2900VG
ZyXEL Prestige 2602HWL
SpeedTouch 716v5 ADSL
A small list can be found here too:
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/Searc...reless%20Router