have i voided my warranty?

Sorry I'm not really following you mathepac. If he returning under his consumer rights, thats one thing.

I'm just making the point if the vehicle is covered under a manufacturers warranty he could get it checked at a different dealer, as a quicker response. They may refer the car back to the seller if thats appropriate, or decide the manufacturer warranty covers the problem. Maybe you think thats a bad way of doing it and it should just go back to the seller. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree.

should i call the garage again and speak to the guy that i bought the car off or go directly to the owner (i got his email address) and outline the position....

yes i realise that i should have went to them, but at the time i was sick and not in a position really to be honest....... so just got it done.

i thought the SIMI was only a purchase order type thing............ hmmmmm... lesson learned. tbh has totally put me off the garage, and they are supposed to be so great!

To clear up the manufacturer/garage warranty, could you tell us if this was a new car or second hand? With only a 1 year warranty, I'm assuming it's second hand. I'd also assume if an oil light came on in a 2 month old car, the dealer sould be the only place you'd be going, and you wouldn't expect to pay anything to have that resolved.

What Mathepac is getting at here is any warranty is in addition to your statutory rights. To pursue your rights, you must deal with the party that your contract is with, the seller. Going to another party and getting work done weakens your position, as the seller could claim the other parties work was sub-standard. You then have to prove that is not the case which gets tricky.

So even if a car is under the manufacturer's warranty, you should always deal with the seller. It makes your position for recourse to the legal system so much stronger.

should i call the garage again and speak to the guy that i bought the car off or go directly to the owner (i got his email address) and outline the position....

Try putting your complaint in writing to both of them. Explain the timeline, what has occured to date, and what you would like them to do to resolve the issue.

As myself and others have already advised, speak to the NCA, they will have vast experience of issues like this.
Leo

in all the talk about the warranty i think the most important point is being ignored and that is the fact that the oil lev el was allowed to go so low as to activate the oil light on two occasions and particularly as noted for needing top ups between service intervals

Are they saying you used the wrong brand of oil (eg. not Castrol) or the wrong type of oil (eg. not 5w40) ?

I would understand them having an issue if the wrong type of oil was used. Presuming it's not one of the advised oil for that car.
VW specify oils for their engines that must meet a a particular standard. The key is to look for the code on the tin the corresponds with youir car's engine e.g. "VW 505 01" for the older PD diesels or "VW507 00" for newer petrol engines. Viscosity e.g. 5w40, and brand have nothing to with the VW spec
VW diesels can use up to 0.5 litres of oil per 1,000km and this is not viewed as a problem, but as you point out, the oil must be dipped (old set up) or the electronic level indicator checked (newer set up) regularly.

There is no secret to the correct oils for VWs, decent independent mechanics can tell you which goes where. OP doesn't seem to say whether the car concerned is diesel or petrol