Have I found a rip off?

Asking a hairdresser for a cut but when go to pay being charged for a cut and restyle.

I haven't seen an official line , but here are some examples of what I would call a rip-offs:..

Paying €9.50 in a bookshop last weekend for a "prominent-brand" kids CD advertising "stories and songs" on the inlay sheet, only to find that the entire CD (1) is only 13 minutes long; (2) contains 1 story (7 minutes), 1 song (3 minutes) and 1 instrumental version of the song (3 minutes).

Even if these details were displayed on the outside of the packaging they are certainly misleading. Did you bring it back or complain?

I would call these examples of fraud.

I thought "a rip-off" was being charged over the odds for something as in "that sandwich is €10, what a rip-off"

as opposed to "being ripped off" i.e.stolen as in
"my car stereo was ripped off the other day"

Even if these details were displayed on the outside of the packaging they are certainly misleading. Did you bring it back or complain?
If that's what was on the outside of the CD then they were not misleading; they were wrong, as there is only one story and one song, not "stories and songs"

Going back to the Indo, Ryanair are probably outside Ireland when they sell you the paper. Papers abroad nearly always cost more than they do in the home country (partially due to flight costs ;-) )

I thought "a rip-off" was being charged over the odds for something as in "that sandwich is €10, what a rip-off"
No - that is simply a high price assuming that it is clearly displayed and not an attempt to charge €10 for something advertised at a lower price or something that does not reasonably match the description given. "Over the odds" is a pretty subjective categorisation.

All covered in great detail and ad nauseum here.

Suffice to say, rip-off is often used in exactly the subjective sense indicated and further, particularly because it is slang, its use as such cannot be sensibly said to be incorrect. Imprecise and subjective, yes, incorrect, no.

For those fond of quoting from the dictionary you will find several links in the thread above that include the "over-priced" definition.