Have I found a rip off?

Joe1234

Ryanair were last week selling Irish Indo's for €2, when the price clearly displayed on the front of the paper is €1.60. Is this a rip off?

Did they tell you in advance that they were charging €2 regardless of the price printed on the newspaper?

Did they stop you brining your paper on board ?

I always bring a paper on board with me and would be flabbergasted if I was prevented from doing so. I presume Ryanair charge more than the (recommended I presume) retail price because they have a monopoly on supply once you are in the air. What was it Ben Dunne used to say about the Indo being the only item he would never consider selling below cost?

I suspect that jhegarty was being facetious.

In my opinion it's not a rip-off unless they (actively or passively) somehow lead people to believe that the price was €1.60 but then charged them €2. Even then once the person noticed that they were charged €2 surely they could just give it back and get a refund?

I presume Ryanair charge more than the (recommended I presume) retail price because they have a monopoly on supply once you are in the air.

Plus
- They have higher overheads than a newsagent on the ground.
- €2 is an easier amount to handle in terms of giving change etc.

I wonder if they actually have a monopoly. Could a passenger bring on Indos and start selling them at €1.90 ?

Even then once the person noticed that they were charged €2 surely they could just give it back and get a refund?

Excellent, next time i'll buy one as i get onboard and get a refund just before landing....

Maybe it is, but that is not stated beside the price, at least it is not stated on the front of today's edition.

Perhaps not, but I have seen some "small print" re recommended retail prices somewhere on Irish newspapers within the past year or so.

I was on a Ryanair flight last Friday and they were selling the Indo for €2.00. They stated in advance that they had copies for sale at a price of €2.00. There was no rip-off.

To help me with this thread, and many others, can someone point me in the direction of the sites' definition of rip-off?
Thanks

To help me with this thread, and many others, can someone point me in the direction of the sites' definition of rip-off?
Thanks

I haven't seen an official line , but here are some examples of what I would call a rip-offs:

1) Big sign outside fast food place, burgers €1 .... eat a burger and get asked for €2

2) Car advertised as leather seats... but has plastic seats...

3) Petrol station that charges you for 15 liters of petrol but pump only actually gives you 10 liters....