Have a Virus... Idiot proof advice, please!

Darthvadar

Hi...

I'm a total technaphobe...

I use Yahoo as my main mailbox...

I have Avast antivirus (Free Version)... When I try to access my Yahoo mailbox, I get the warning siren, and a voice says "Warning, a virus has been detected), and a dialog box opens Telling me to Abort Connection... When I do, a second box opens to advise me to 'Move to Chest'... When I do that, it closes the Yahoo mailbox...

Can anybody advise me of what I should do, please???... As mentioned, I'm a technaphobe...

Thank you in advance...

Darth...

Wow.... Thank you, Babaduck...

These viruses are a nuisence!...

Maybe as this laptop's two years old, it could be time to replace it, too!...

Darth...

Not necessarily... my desktop PC is 6 years old & after a memory/hard drive upgrade a few months ago, is working great!

A 2-year old laptop which you think is too old! Come on - the Tiger has gone, keep it - my PC is 10 years old and still going strong. Please, don't throw out a perfectly good machine just because you got a virus bite - if you use the technology, you should invest in the stuff that makes it almost bite-proof! :)

Thanks for the advice, Folks....

I'm a complete technaphobe!... I freely admit to not having a clue!...

I ran the Housecall thing... It came up with 'No Threat Detected'... Can't understand it... I STILL can't get into Yahoo, and the warning about having a virus is popping up whenever I go to some sites!...

Should I take the machine to a repair place and get it sorted???...

Thanks...

Darth...

Avast is a decent antivirus.

No AV program can do anything with your online email account. It doesn't have access.
It can only fix something on your PC. When you download it. So what are you downloading from your yahoo email?

My own experience is that Gmail is far better at blocking spam and Viruses than Yahoo and Hotmail.

Thanks for the quick response, AlbacoreA....

Could the usual funny emails sent by friends be the problem???...

I can't think of anything else....

So do you suggest I just set up another email address, and abandon Yahoo???....

Darth....

Simplest solution is to change your email address - maybe gmail or hotmail - also advise anyone in your contact list that you may have a virus and are changing your email address to kill it!!!! :)

Thank You VERY much!... Good advice!!!!!....

Erm.... Silly question, but erm, how do I get to the info in my Yahoo Address book???...

Darth...

Never used Yahoo mail, but there must be an option for 'Contacts' somewhere - and if not, sure take out a pen and paper, go through all the email addresses you really want to keep (think of it as therapeutic Spring Cleaning) and sure just key them into your new email service provider. Now that I think about it, maybe I'll do the same!

Thanks a million!....

Good advice about the spring clean... There are bound to be loads of people I don't even remember, let alone contact in there!...

Thank you again!...

God bless...

Darth....

Don't have to change your email, but personally I think Gmail is better.

Just delete all the email you don't need to keep, that should get rid of the virus.

In fact don't open emails if you don't know who they are from.

The fact Avast caught this means it working fine.

Go to an internet cafe and open up the gmail account there. Go into Yahoo and cut and paste your contacts to google

Ha Ha!!!!.... BRILLIANT idea, Murt!... Oh the simple solutions are often the easiest!...

I'll go to the library tomorrow and do that!...

AlbacoreA... Good idea to clear out the mailbox... I'll do that at the library, too...

Thank you everybody!... Much appreciate you taking the time to help me... You've been great!.....

Darth...

Thank You VERY much!... Good advice!!!!!....

Erm.... Silly question, but erm, how do I get to the info in my Yahoo Address book???...

Darth...

I had a similar problem and couldn't get into hotmail. I have a gmail address l so I imported my emails from hotmail into gmail. I have Avast as well but my son ran a full anti-virus (don't ask me) and that cleared up the problem. He said that you have to be careful with these warnings, that sometimes they are viruses in themselves and cause mayhem when you download.

Just as a matter of interest, has anyone upgraded their pcs themselves? I need to put an extra 1 gb ram on mine so that my son can install windows 7. I think he could do it for me but I just want to know did anyone have any problems doing that? I have a Dell pc.

Hi Darth

Would you please let me know how you got on with this as we had the same issue and as its my wife's e-mail that was affected do not really want to have to change unless really necessary

Thanks

jimbo123

Will do, Jimbo....

I have emailed anyone whose email addresses I remembered, and texted others....

I hope that by bypassing Yahoo, I may deal with it...

Would appreciate it if you could keep me informed of your progress...

Thanks...

Darth....

Joan,

I didn't do it myself but I know a very decent guy (Wicklow/Dublin area) I'd be happy to recommend to do the job for you... he did a fantastic job on my 6 y/o Dell Dimension a few months ago. PM me if you want his info

Last edited:
Back