Have 2 cars need only 1

Graham_07

Ok here's the problem, suddenly find ourselves with 2 cars but due to much decreased general usage only really now need one.
Car # 1 is 09 Mazda 3 5 dr. 1.4
Car # 2 is 01 Mazda MX-5.
Want to keep the "open air" (or as close to it as possible) feel as the MX-5 is a blast, but would be handy to have something with 4 or so seats and a bit of a boot. Also low road tax, insce etc.
Don't mind moving back a couple years if need be and would try sell existing by private sales as I'm sure not many garages would be keen on 2 for 1.
Anyone got suggestions as to what would be a good replacement for the above ? Thanks.

How about something like [broken link removed]

Going on carzone prices you'd be likely to get around 17,500-20,000 for your current cars.

You'd obviously be giving up the warrenty on the Mazda 3 though.

Mazda reliability is legendary and this is something to consider alright. Audi was on the radar as a possible make as it happens and the A4 cabrio is gorgeous but red leather !:eek: ;) The A3 5 dr sportback with panoramic roof was something that came to mind or is this too tame ? Should one steer clear of Peugeot's cabrios ?

Well.. As an MX5 driver i thought the red leather might be a selling point ;)

I'd stear clear of any Peugeots but that might be a rather unjustified personal choice given recent improvements. Renaults too.

Given the Choice i'd go Japanese/German any day.

Hiya Graham,

From a fellow MX5er, having been bitten by that bug its a very hard bug to shake :D

As well as potential 4 seater soft tops another consideration is to keep the idea of two cars but have a CLASSIC as the second one. In that lot below are some classic soft tops. Classic as you know means cheap insurance and tax. In fact if you could pick up a good 1990 MX5 your in the game - 20 years old.

The above idea frees you up to buy a "normal" saloon / hatch for everyday use.

Now look at that lovely motor in the first link ... mmm :D

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

Bobalong

There's only one option to replace the MX5
[broken link removed]

However, as you want 4 seats, and a good drop-top...this is what you should be thinking about...
[broken link removed]

There's only one option to replace the MX5
[broken link removed]

However, as you want 4 seats, and a good drop-top...this is what you should be thinking about...
[broken link removed]

Yes - the Barchetta is the job, though its left hand drive.

Re the BMW ... I just looked at the Tax Disc pic ... choke ... the car tax :D

I think the OP mentioned cheap tax and insurance, only way to that is a classic soft top and then a cheap diesel hack around for everything else.

My two cents
Bob

GarBow Bobalong & Pique thanks for that, some good food for thought. Although I think the idea really is to move down to one car not have a hack and a 2 seater. If I was going to have a roadster and another hack for everyday I'd just keep the MX-5, no questions about it. 9 years along and still worth 1/4 of its OMV which can't be said for many cars. I don't think a classic is a runner, I'm fond of my comforts in the car and as good as they might be, I'm useless mechanically and don't want the hassle of maintaining a classic. The MX5 presently costs about €1,500 a year in tax, insce and fuel (excl dpn/NCT/service) to keep on the road and for the fun it gives is probably worth it, but it only goes out for maybe an hour or so on a weekend now so that really equates to €30 for an hours driving. The 3 costs about €2,000 a year for tax/insce/fuel. I suppose it's the thought of two lots of insurance and road tax for very small mileage is what's getting me thinking.

The 3 series cabrio is probably the nicest looker in 4 seaters and is well in the price range but a grand for road tax, no way. I guess the ideal would be if Mazda did some sort of folding tin top in a 4 door ( like the focus ) as TBH I find the Mazda brand reliability and service from our dealer second to none.

Thanks for the thoughts folks.

Back