Has the BMW 1 series become more popular?

steveyd

Hi,

I want to get peoples opinion on the 1 Series two years on from its release. Do people still have the opinion that they are overpriced? I heard that the drive was excellent in them?

i drive one find it has not enough power sometimes, quite a heavy car for the 1.6 engine

they are more popular because of the lease option

My wife has one, on a lease deal. Have to say it is a dreadful car, underpowered, it is a 1.6, I have a 1.6 Focus and the difference in remarkable. Had lots of problems with the 1 series, coils went in the car, ignition key falls out when driving, seat belt has jammed. Generally the reason why you see so many driving around is becuse of the lease deal. Petrol costs are very high also. Cant wait to hand it back. Steer clear.

I've never driven the 1.6, but the 2.0d engine is fantastic. I had the use of a 120d for a few weeks and I loved it. The styling might not be to everyones taste and the rear leg room is pretty small but the engine, steering and general set-up is well balanced and the whole feel of the car is far above it's competitors, unfortuntely so is the price tag! It's the engine that is the jewel in the crown here. I thought about buying one but some resale issues with a €42,000 Focus/Golf competitor and an over priced options list made my mind up for me!

I test drove the 1-series back a few months ago. Well disappointed. Ended up thinking that most people would sway to a 2nd hand 3-series if they had the 35k to spend. And for that money you would get a good M-Tec model.

By comparison, I test drove the 1.6FSI A3 Sportback recently, and WHAT a car!

yes, it may be an expensive golf, BUT, it does have a lot of safety gear, extras and whatnot that you don't get as standard on the Golf, and it will still be 5k more expensive than the golf at its 3-year value.
Avoid the old 1.6, get the FSI. Incredible difference.

BMW's worst sales story ever. They leased them on loss making rates to try an invogorate the market. It didn't work. Residules on all BMW's suffering at the moment. Glut of them on the market. Terrible time to sell em, great time to buy. Can now get first generation (1999 - 2001) E46's in good shape for less than 12K.

if you like the look of the bmw1, buy an03 nissan almera and stick the bmw badge on the bonnet..who can tell the difference??

d

if you like the look of the bmw1, buy an03 nissan almera and stick the bmw badge on the bonnet..who can tell the difference??

d

From a distance I've thought so! Pesky Japanese forgers! :)

the best of the bunch is definitely the 120D but for the money, they are way overpriced. They are competing with nothing in the same bracket because of the price tag.
I had one for a day about a year ago and although it was fun to drive and had great handling, I wouldn't spend my money on one.

We hired a 1 series while in Germany last year (didn't request it; it was all that was available in the class I had requested).

It was a nice drive and was easy to get used to, but felt underpowered at times.

The worst thing, however, was that the interior was quite cramped. I am over 6 ft and found it hard to sit up straight in it. At times e.g. when turning left, I had to move a bit to the right in the seat in order to be able to see properly out of it.

Someone earlier mentioned the Almera. I've also rented that car a couple of times, and to be honest I preferred it.

daithi said:

Anybody who did not have 10 pints of beer few hours before being involved in the "spot the difference" game :)

had a 118d on loan while my 320d was serviced. found the handing good
engine good, but inside plastics poor and very bumpy over irish secondary roads. might have something to do with run flat tyres.

id rate the car 5/10

i was glad to get my old car back!

brutal car compared to a 3 series saloon or 3 series touring for similar money (maybe just one year older is all)

Back