Has anyone used the services of a debt advisor?

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I see ads for some companies claiming to be able to write down your debts by 75%

I have no direct experience of them. Has anyone else used them? Was you experience good or bad?

I don't know the significance of the 75% figure. Has it any basis in law?

Brendan

No haven't used them but had a "cold" call from a company via phone looking for me to deal with them. If I wanted to restructure mortgage they would do this on my behalf -charge for meeting me would have been E150 and then E150 if succuessful in restructure. I didn't take them up I told them I could restructure myself if need be.

Angela59

Where did they get your telephone number, do you mean they are just randomly telephoning people to get business?

I spoke to moneyvillage people had a meeting with them too.

they could help me with any ''unsecured'' debt or mortgage, to deal with unsecured debt they would ask in the area of e500-e600 and all they do is tell you to stop paying, then they will agree minimum amount repayable and restructure the unsecured debts to match into the affordable amount they propose you to repay monthly.
It's expensive service and many many of the dealings can be done with banks/bs/cu by their customers.

I decided not to go with them... decided to deal with creditors directly.

I've been dealing with one of these companies for a few years now, since recession took hold. So far I have not got a whiff of 75% being whipped off my debt but I have been told that all my creditors have agreed to the 'nominal' payments each month and that within five years my debts will be written off.

It all sounds too good to be true but I am a firm believer of having an intermediate involved while dealing with debt.

Wishes could you not have negotationed the debt repayment arrangements yourself.

What writedowns have you been given and how much do the intermediaries cost? A few years is going to be a nice sum that would be better paying down debt?

Hi Bronte,

I was finding it very difficult to restructure the debt so I had no option but to contact one of these companies.

So far there has been no write down of any of my debt, apart from a vague promise of a 'write down' after five years. I have however been told that all creditors have accepted the payment plan. Under what terms and conditions, I do not know. You are told very little.

Their fees will amount to approx 3k over the five year period.

So far there has been no write down of any of my debt, apart from a vague promise of a 'write down' after five years. I have however been told that all creditors have accepted the payment plan. Under what terms and conditions, I do not know. You are told very little.

Wishes I understand why you hired a company, but I think you are leaving yourself wide open by not knowing what exactly is going on. Personally I'd want to know in writing what the creditors have agreed. And by in writing, I mean from the creditors not the intermediary.

Not sure how it works but are you sending your salary to the intermediary who then pays your creditors? Or what way does it work.

I can certainly assure you that 'a vague promise' will most certainly be that is sales waffle in my opinion.

Do you know by direct mail from your creditors at the very least annually that your debt is reducing?

I have heard absolutely nothing from all my creditors since the day I began dealing with the intermediate. You are told in no uncertain terms not to make contact with the creditor.

After all utilities and food is bought I send whats left to the intermediate and then they administer the rest to my creditors.

No direct mail from my creditors and no way of telling what is being reduced and what is not.

I spoke to one of their sales team who let slip that they were working off the upcoming insolvency bill hence the write off of debt after five years???

Only yesterday I got a telephone call from the intermediate who asked me would I not consider bankruptcy. Alarm bells started ringing; why would I bankrupt myself if I am paying a 'nominal payment' each month and the debts will be wrote off in five years???

I don't get this ! If you aren't getting a write down by using the debt adviser then why not go to MABS which is free?

I have heard absolutely nothing from all my creditors since the day I began dealing with the intermediate.

This is most alarming Wishes, how long since you've received anything from your creditors. What documents did you sign for the intermediary that lets them have such full control.

The intermediary cannot be working off the new insolvency bill as it hasn't even been debated yet never mind passed into legislation.

Not trying to alarm you but there was a company that went bust last year in Dublin and they left a lot of people who were not financially literate in a lot of trouble.

Please check up what is happening.

Thank you Bronte, will do. I have been wary of contacting the creditors after being informed not to, but I will ring them today.

Regarding the insolvency bill, they have said they are proxy to the information contained in it and are heavily lobbying the contents of same????

Hi Demoivre, I contacted MABS at the beginning but there was so much of a waiting list that I couldn't possibly wait that long. I had the odd dubious looking debt collector calling to the door and felt I had no other option but to contact the debt advisers.

Hi Bronte,

In reply to your question - yes the company just cold called - perhaps they were just going through the phone book - it started off as an introduction about the company and went on from there.

Angela59

I have done all my negotiating in writing and the first creditor has recently accepted my offer. I set up a direct debit and have heard nothing from them since. I am waiting for a response from my second creditor regarding the 5 year plan but I'm quite confident that it will be accepted.

Well it's really heartening to know that MABS is so helpful. Any chance you could share that advice, there are many people who need help and won't even pick up the phone to MABS or get put off by the fact there is apparently a waiting list to see MABS.

Did you do the negotiating yourself with your creditors, is there a template letter etc. Have you been able to negotiate any write down of interest/penalties and a lowering of interest rate?

Your success in tackling debt might be an inspiration to others who feel overwhelmed by their debt. With your 5 year plan, which isn't so long really, I presume you'll be back on track.

yes the company just cold called - perhaps they were just going through the phone book - it started off as an introduction about the company and went on from there.

Thanks for the reply, interesting that they are just cold calling I wonder did anything trigger it, that they got your name from somewhere, a bank/credit card company etc.

Anyone else get cold called? Are these debt relief companies springing up all over the place? And more importantly are they regulated.

Your success in tackling debt might be an inspiration to others who feel overwhelmed by their debt. With your 5 year plan, which isn't so long really, I presume you'll be back on track.

Bilbo - fully agree with Bronte. Your success story would inspire and educate others.

Any chance you would write a more comprehensive piece on the topic, which we would turn into a Key Post.

Carmel did a great piece on trading up her house which has helped a lot of people.

Something along the lines of

Background and how you incurred the debts
First signs of trouble.
Embarrassment of being in debt
Action from creditors
Sources of advice - MABS in particular
If you contacted any of the debt agencies, or considered it.
Deciding to do it yourself
What you proposed. What they accepted.

Wishes

Are you actually paying money to the debt dollection agency for them to pass on to your creditors?

How do you know they are doing this if you are not receiving statements?

What agreements have been reached with the creditors on your behalf?

Regarding the insolvency bill, they have said they are privy to the information contained in it and are heavily lobbying the contents of same????

I very much doubt that they have more insight into this than the combined wisdom of askaboutmoney posters. It's at the final stages in the Oireachtas, so it's unlikely that they have any advantage.

Brendan

And more importantly are they regulated.

As far as I am aware they are not regulated. However, this year there was a shake up of the sector and a lot of them were closed down. There are very few operating in the ROI, maybe 5 or 6 at max.

Your problem now lies with agencies working in NI / UK offering their services whilst still based in the UK.

Some time ago I worked in the industry but left, it just wasn't for me. The vast amount of cases I dealt with were genuine but others left me scratching my head.

I began asking questions within the company, which they didn't like, so I finally left.

Some time ago I worked in the industry but left, it just wasn't for me. The vast amount of cases I dealt with were genuine but others left me scratching my head.

You mean people who had income but were hiding it from creditors?

You mean people who had income but were hiding it from creditors?

Yes, possibly and potentially. No payslips, bank statements ever asked for. In most cases the debtor is just a voice down the telephone, as is the debt adviser.

Back