Has anyone learned Spanish?

Caveat

I'm at a basic level but my initial impression is that the language is relatively easy to learn (pronunciation & grammar wise) when compared with, say, French for example.

Or maybe it's just that my knowledge of French is a good stepping stone for Spanish?

Any particular tips and/or pitfalls - maybe there are unexpected hurdles at a more intermediate level?

Did basic level also at the locan community college and keep meaning to try and recap it and go on but you know how it is, time time time. The only spoken difficulty I've had is to remember to pronounce V as B . I've found doing French back in schooldays was probably actually an impediment as there was a tendency to say the wrong thing, you know, a French word for a Spanish. i'd imagine it to be almost easier not having any other language in the back of ones mind.

However the most important phrase to remember in Spanish is otros dos cervezas por favor. Everything else no hay problema.

I'd agree on both counts.

The [broken link removed] has some very useful resources for home learning, but joining a class is usually a great motivator. Also, try scanning a page or two online each day (e.g. reading the headlines of something like El País); even if you don't understand most of what you see, you'll be getting useful 'exposure'.

Here is a great little programme you can download it free,BYKI.com cant say that it will teach you to speak spanish but its good fun and a good starting point.Have fun

it's all great until you encounter el subjunctivo... that's when the fun starts

Ah OK - thanks ... wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to make small errors here though, at least initially I suppose.

Absolutely not, sorry, I wasn't trying to put you off. It's just that the people who try to promote spanish never tell you about this at the start

The most important thing is to get stuck in and use what you have as much as possible. I think it's a lovely language.

In most classes you won't start learning the subjunctive until you're fairly advanced anyway.