Has anyone installed a back boiler

gailey

I have oil central heating (14 rads) and I am fed up filling the tank. I also use an open fire. I light the fire everyday about 5.00 and also use the rads a lot. I was thinking of getting a back boiler installed.
Would a back boiler heat 14 rads? Would it be a major job installing? Am planning on decorating anyway so I will be replacing floors and fireplace anyway.
Has anyone recently had a back boiler installed. I live in a bungalow so immersion boiler is not too far from fireplace.
How expensive would it be and where would I get one.
Sorry for the ignorance and so many questions.

A back boiler is unlikely to heat 14 rads suffieciently.
and the stand-by provision needed for interlinking oil and solid fuel
would be expensive.
You may be a little dissapointed by the radiant heat from a back boiler.

Perhaps you could consider efficiency and controls of oil system, boiler location, and insualtion levels generally

Thanks for reply plumber. I am not happy with oil heating. It is expensive and as soon as heating knocks off, house is cold and we end up with lighting the fire and using this with oil heating. Would a stove be a better option? We put in 400 euros worth of oil 4 weeks ago and is empty already, I wouldnt mind if the oil heats house enough but it does'nt. Thats 100 per week for oil heating .....

If you really like the idea of a solid fuel appiance and are going to to a bit of work on the house You might cosider a free standing boiler or cooker in
a larger kitchen/family room

One running on kerosine might suit do not forget the labour involved with soid fuel

I will not preach about insulation levels as I live in an old solid stone house myself.

We are plannning on changing floors anyway. The house is only four years old but is impossible to heat, which is why I was thinking of doing something about the heating.How much would a plumber charge and how long would it take to install a stove which would heat radiators and water.