Has anyone here ever represented themselves in a courtroom? What should I expect?

B

BrazilNut

Hi wonderful people of askaboutmoney!

I'm required to attend a sitting on the Dublin District Court tomorrow 14/09 due to some minor accusations from Dublin City Council.

I have receive the summons at home and at one paragraph it says: "Should you require legal representation, please ensure same is in court on the above date".

I don't have a solicitor and I will do my own representation (lay ligitation), however I have a few questions to youse...

- Has anyone here ever represented themselves in a courtroom? How was it?

- What should I expect?

- Is there any norms that I have to follow (I've never been in a court room before! )

Please, any comments will be much, much welcomed!!

Thank you all!

Re: Self Representation - HELP !

My suggestion would be to spend a few hours sitting in a court to see how things are done, how people address each other..etc..etc..

btw, tomorrow is the 11th not the 14th

Sorry it was a typo on my side....the sitting is tomorrow (11/September).

I would suggest that you turn up at least 10 minutes early for the sitting, speak to the court clerk and ask them when your case is likely to be called ( at start middle or end list), if possible ask for a copy of the list and follow it so that you won't be taken unaware. It can be difficult to hear what is going on in some courts so be sure to sit near the front ( but not in the guards, journalists or solicitors seats). Similar cases could be held before yours so you might have some idea what to expect. Without knowing what kind of case it is we can't say too much more and indeed, regional courts and judges differ in courtroom practice in any case.

How can I refer to the judge?

So, if I'm referring to the judge, should I say:

"Mr. Judge here it is all the evidence I could gather..."

or

"Judge (his surname), here it is all the evidence I could gather..."

or

"Your Honour, here it is all the evidence I could gather..."

or

None of them!!

Thanks in advance.

Address him/her as "Judge", Your Honour is for higher courts only, be very respectful at all times as otherwise Judges can get v annoyed, be clear in your point, don't waffle or make strong accusations, explain your position honestly & accurately, depending on what the matter relates to they may have far more information than you would realise so if you try and bend the truth it may come back to bite you! if it is going over your head and you are not able for it, ( the District Court can be very fast moving & hard to understand) back down and ask that it may be adjourned to get legal advice, don't get yourself in more hot water than you need to by taking it on yourself.

Dear me, have you actually gathered evidence for your case in the district court tomorrow or is the above just a turn of phrase? If you are contesting a case be sure to alert the judge to this immediately before launching into anything. Normally the contested matters go to the end of the list.

No, no...this is jus a turn of phrase.

My case will be very straithforward, I guess!!!

I've just found out that a case similar (identical) to mine was dismissed in favor of the the defendant in Cork.

Can I make reference to this case (ie. base my defence on this case) ?

I don't want to sound arrogant when talking to the judge, but I'd like to mention this case - as this might help me.

Thank you people!!

Where was the case report e.g. newspaper article, internet. It might be worthwhile taking a copy of the report with you if you are going to refer to it. Some District Court judges don't like it when cases from other Districts are being mentioned.

i just represented myself in court,referred to the judge as sir,said please and thankyou,case got struck out,it aint rocket science,just tell the truth,the judge has seen it all and can tell whose lying.Good luck.