Has anybody imported a new car into Ireland

F

FowlerB

Hi

I am thinking of buying a new car and am considering buying in the UK and bringing into Ireland. Can anybody adivse if its worthwhile to do so and if there are pitfalls?

Thanks

BF

I don't think it will be very worthwhile. Cars are actually cheaper here before vat and vrt are added on.

A total waste of time I considered it recently with a new BMW 320 and with Vrt Vat etc and all other associated costs it weorked out over 3 K dearer than to buy the car here.

I think what you'll find is that the anti-competitive and anti-consumer stance taken by Revenue, where they accept that a price specified by the car importers is the "open market" price and charge VRT based on it will make this completely uneconomic.

Apart from VRT, you will also be charged additional VAT once the car has less than 6,000km on the clock and is less than 6 months old.

David McWillams is advocating a no vote to the Lisbon Treaty for this very issue, see [broken link removed]

David McWillams is advocating a no vote to the Lisbon Treaty for this very issue, see [broken link removed]

Well argued: couldn't agree more.

As well as being against both the spirit and the letter of the law as regards free movement of goods, VRT is an anti-consumer protectionist intervention, which as McWilliams points out, is bizarre in the nature of the prople being protected (i.e. not a manufacturing base, but simple sales and distribution operations). I wonder how that came about?