Has anybody got a stairs lift installed ?

TheBoss

I'm in the process of getting a stairs lift orgainsed for my eldery mother.

Can anyone recommend a good company or got any advice to offer.

We've already applied for the grant (living in Co. Laois).

Anybody got good/bad experiences ?

Hi TheBoss, My father got one in a year ago, also got the grant. He didn't want it at the time but its the best thing he ever did now. Im not sure what company supplied it and it was probably in the Dublin area. I can find out for you if you like.

He had a few problems at first. The chair would stop half way, when he got the engineer out (cost about €100) he told him not to turn the power off at all and keep it charged. (it is possible that my father was turning it off at the mains during the day). Other than that, it is well worth it.

Thanks angel.

If u can find out the name of the company and the type of lift, i'd much appreciate.

Have you considered an actual elevator? I have seen them installed in a couple of homes through my work and they are fab. They are positioned wherever you wish downstairs (space allowing) and when they go upstairs to a bedroom, it looks just like an attic door in the ceiling.(More suitable I suppose for those in wheelchairs or likely to be). When you are in the elevator you are surrounded on four sides to about just below shoulder height and the top is open. Don't have a clue about price/grants etc..but they really are a good idea as the elevator can go to the person's room and they are simple to use....I'm sure the companies who provide stair lifts most likely are the suppliers of these also. Just another option for you....:)

Thanks Bobbin.

I've seen pics of the elevator and dont have enough space for it .... the stairs lift looks the business though.

Hi

I'm looking for advice/recommendations on companies that provide support/maintenance on stairlifts. Had a lift installed for my mother about 18 months ago and I find the aftersales service is slow /poor from the company that installed it. I realise it won't be easy to find a company to support/maintain a lift installed by someone else but I'd be really grateful for any suggestions.

Stannah Stairlifts, Ballymount Industrial Estate, Walkinstown, Dublin 12, Try www.stannah.ie - have agents all over the country who will go and evaluate the stairs and recommend the best type for your needs. They also have an after-sales service. I also think that they buy back old chairs if you sign up to this maintenace contract.
My parents applied for one recently but unfortunatly were turned down, eventhough both of them are in their eighties and have medical conditions which any normal person would consider deserving of one, ie. Parkinsons and Osteoporosis.
'Money had run out' appearently!

had one installed a few months ago in mother-inlaws...
irishstairways.com very happy with all aspects

Back